Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Corpus Christi , Texas
No title-buy or not buy

We are looking at an airstream that came from another state but refurbished here. It is registered in Texas but that's only good for 2 years. That was one year ago. What happens after 2 years?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
You can title it with a bill of sale but I would go by the county tax collector to run the vin and ask their advice.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
It ain't yours until you have registered the title. I was taught never to buy a vehicle without acquiring the transferred title at the same time. It's the seller's job to get the trailer titled.

David
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I can't figure out what your saying. I am in Texas too. There is no such thing as a two year registration. If it is registered anywhere it is registered. The owners nam has to be on that registration. IF you buy this, get a Bill of Sale. If the seller gives you any guff on its status tell him to register it in his name and THEN you will buy it from him. I don't like the sound of this whole thing as layed out.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
You can not get a title with a bill of sell in Texas. Went through that last year ended up doing a bonded title.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I got my title using a bill of sale in San Antonio last year. Probably depends on the county?
Old 01-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
You can get a title in your name IF you get the state to run a VIN check to prove it is not stolen, and get a bill of sale.

This will cost you some time, a little money, and a lot of trouble.

If I was interested in it, I would insist that the seller let me get a VIN check on it before making the deal, and if he refuses that deal, I'd walk away.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Titles and registration are issued by the state. A camping trailer is totally different from a utility type of trailer when it comes to registering it. Yes it can be done but it is a royal PIA to do with a bill of sell only. As of last year you get a bonded title for 3 years then you can apply for a none bonded title if it is not contested.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
helotes , Texas
I'm a supervisor in a combined city/county auto theft unit in San Antonio. I deal with fraud almost on a daily basis. The first question you need to ask is, if the trailer does in fact have a valid registration (and I think that's a big if), why can't the seller produce a title? My advice is to have this trailer inspected by either local law enforcement or DPS, (if DSP will do it). You should seek out officers who work in the auto theft field and are qualified to do VIN inspections and or 68A inspections. If you buy the trailer and it turns out to be stolen you will loose the trailer and your money when it’s confiscated. You may also face a similar situation if the trailer is unidentifiable.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Missoula , Montana
I am an X (thank God) truck dealer and no tickee no buyee. If it is a legitimate deal then can get a title, if not don't walk, run away from the deal.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Akron , Ohio
I considered doing this very thing a few years ago and called the BMV to ask about it. Ohio does NOT recognize a "bill of sale" because there is no PROOF of OWNERSHIP. Anyone can write up a piece of paper saying "I sold this thing to that person". It is NOT a legal conveyance, probably in any state but for certain in Ohio.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Did a Wisconsin 1958 Caravanner to Nebraska title. Assign a VIN - pay police inspection. Nebraska. Inspect for prior plates in 2 states at each DMV with notary seal, and search the national data base for prior theft. Pay for a local police inspection for safety items in Nebraska law for 1958 rigs.. Got 3 year bond ( minimum $25,000 ) coverage at cost total $100.00. Apply at county for bonded title. After 3 years can convert to "normal" title for $15.00 All fees etc. almost $200 and about 60 days. Knew the rig was O-XXXX (redacted) but Airstream does not know to whom sold to or from what dealer. Since rig was not cheap calculated first buyer in 1958 would probably have been in his 40s and in 2014, if still alive, very close to 100 with children in 70s and grandkids in 40s or 50s. Calculated the odds that a "sales trail" would be possible. Exceedingly improbable. The seller knew he had a real "albatross" due to no title so priced the rig accordingly. Seller knew where the rig sat since 1973, had been partially gutted, stored in a shed with a good roof and never moved. I indicated that it was a shame it was missing so many things ( but truth was I knew I'd be doing a 100% gut so cared not at all). I asked how much would it cost to find and buy the missing stuff and we agreed it would be costly (but I cared not) So got a dent free and perfect floored rig for dirt cheap. LET THE SELLER BEWARE ! Older units, particularly pre 1981 when VIN numbering began, with no title would not worry me and the older the better. Newer rigs, restored rigs or clean original, more expensive models, or longer rigs, would give me pause.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I just went through this bring in untitled airstream into Texas. If it is under a certain weight you don't need a total at all. Some states don't title camper trailers. To get it titled in Texas the vin will have to be checked by a vehicle theft detective. You will have to have an insurance company put up a bond on the trailer. Then you can get it titled in Texas with a bonded title. As long as no one makes a title claim against the trailer within a specific time period then you can eventually apply for a normal title. If they do that's what the insurance bond is for. Here's the link to the Texas state dmv website detailing the process. It's a pain in the ass. But worth it.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyin...-with-no-title