Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Newbie with Questions

Well, I think I've made the plunge...have put deposit on '96 30ft Land Yacht motorhome...dealer is bringing to my house tomorrow for test tow...I'm planning on towing my '79 MGB on a trailer behind motorhome...if it does well, the deed is done & I'm heading out in Spring for 5-month trip to Alaska!

Here're my initial silly questions:

1) I want to install a rear facing camera....where does the view screen best fit on the dash?

2) Where's the best location for a VCR & CB radio? I'm thinking about having the dealer build a nice wooden cabinet right above the driver's windshield where the sun visor usually rests out of the way (the sun visor would rest under it)...any better locations?

3) Am gonna have it rigged for Direct TV...is it best to put satellite dish on roof or on pedestal near RV?

4) Am going to go with a wireless network inside for computer...where's best place to put all that equipment?
autoist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 09:16 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Some suggestions

The first picture shows the LCD flat screen TV/monitor back mounted to the dash using an industry standard swivel mount. While driving the display is swiveled toward the co-pilot's seat and is not visible from the drivers position. Using the switchable V1 and V2 inputs it doubles as the back-up camera display.

The second picture shows the TracVision antenna dome. It is mounted to the rear as the available area to the front has less support.

There is a server mounted in the rear closet hard wired to our two computers using standard CAT 5 cable through a 10/100 switch.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...dscn0221er.jpg

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photo...nokoa_copy.jpg
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
VCR-I would consider DVD unless you have a huge collection of tapes. The players are smaller, most new movies and rentals are DVD. I found a relatively small Pioneer that runs off of 12v and also will play cds.

DSS dish- roof mount and tripod both have advantages. Roof mount forces you to park in an area where you have no trees in line with the satellite, sometimes that can be a problem. Tripod mount is a theft item.

I spent a lot of time in the drivers seat trying to find the best location for the CB, gauges and rear vision monitor. Try this, find a place for them where it is easy for you to glance quickly without loosing your sight of the road. One thing to remember is legally any monitor in view of the driver can't have TV, video, etc. while the vehicle is in motion.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote