Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #1

New Istrument Panel

Hello there happy new year make it a safe one.
I had to re-register as I could not post.

I know that someone did a great job of rebuilding an instrument panel for their '77 Argosy. Can they show final pictures of it and tell me how much the whole thing cost. Can they build me an instrument panel like theirs (for a fee of course)?

My Pheonix is parked up waiting for more snow but with an oil heater inside.

The old girl is a bit of a mystery: the water discharge outlet are two spring pins at the back just above the rear bumper, found out it just by chance (it is not on the manual)
saxonsraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I know John (72argosy24mh) did a bunch of custom dash work---here is a link that may be useful to you..

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=GAUGES
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Are you trying to replace stock or go custom? The gauge panel is pretty much stock from GM and was used in nearly all P30 MH's from that era. Custom, are you just after the panel or the whole dash?

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
The dash was a custom unit in 78. It contained the Tach, and speedo, set like a P30 C10 truck, but in a custom fabricated ABS sheet. Then there are the separate gas, vacuum, temp, volts, oil pressure and the non working clock. All of those are individual gauges as well.

On my 78 the ABS sheet that was the base for the gauge package was covered by a sheet of aluminum that has a wood Grain finish. This was bent to fit the shape of the dash and held on with screws into the ABS. I do not know if this was just a dress up plate or a way to strengthen the dash itself.

In my opinion I would use the face piece from the original dash, sandwich it with sheets of aluminum bent to the same shape and then drill the openings as needed for the gauge layout. Since it comes off in one piece you should be able to mount the gauges, terminate the wiring into some multi position connectors.

This then allows for ease of install as well as removal. Once you have the holes drilled you could burnish it to offer a nice finish, or get a carbon fiber skin and add it to the aluminum surface.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote