Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
New Atlas touring coach

I was wondering if anyone has purchased the new Atlas. We saw a model of it and really like it. If anyone has one could you please tell me your thoughts and experience with it.
Thanks Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Here's another thread....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...as-178406.html

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
SANTA BARBARA , California
We just took delivery of an Atlas in late Feb. after cancelling an order for an AI. The correct decision for us and are very happy with the Atlas and the additional roominess it provides.
Butterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Tell us more of your experiences with the Atlas. What do you like and no so much like about it (if anything)? I'm real curious about everyone's experiences with this motorhome.
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
While the Atlas drives very similarly to the AI, it provides substantially more interior space. We particularly like the full bathroom and the pop out that allows for a full king Murphy bed that converts from a couch. One sacrifice for this is that the galley area in the Atlas is slightly smaller than the Interstate.Typical of Airstream, the fit and finish of both the interior and exterior is unsurpassed. Storage is good and the systems easy so assimilate. We have only taken a couple of short trips thus far but have an extended road trip planned for late May-June. As you can tell, so far we are very pleased with the decision to cancel the AI order and, in our opinion, upgrade to the Atlas.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
I am also curious about everyone's experience.
Gloria
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm curious about some things that can only be determined from actually driving one, things that one couldn't tell from their RV show debut. Such as…

What is the road noise like when driving? One would think that the squared-off box living quarters and extra corners would add to the road noise.

How does it handle crosswinds, headwinds, and tailwinds? One would think that the boxy shape and larger surface area would tend to make it more difficult to handle in winds, especially if the electronic stability control features haven't been "tuned" for the van's new shape and weight distribution (side note, CAN those stability programs be tuned?)

Does the fiberglass van body flex while driving, especially when encountering potholes or bumps? More so than the steel body of the Interstate? One would think that more flex would tend to lead to early (or at least earlier) wearing/failure of fasteners holding the cabinetry in place, and/or more rapid development of those annoying squeaks and rattles.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
What he ^^ said.

We got our AI a few months ago (mid Dec 2017)... and new to the RV life (very little time for now until we retire)... but my wife is already eyeing the Atlas for the additional bathroom space (well, overall living space and ease of walking around inside of it)...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #9

2018 Atlas
DAPHNE , Alabama
airstream atlas

I received my new atlas 1week ago downsized from a 45ft allegro bus its just to small selling it now anybody interested contact me thanks Jerry clear title $ 217,000
jv194953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
I recently sold my business and am looking to buy an Airstream coach. I set foot in both Interstate models today for the first time, but the dealer didn't have an Atlas available. I noticed a few posts here by Atlas owners, and thought I could get some pointers.

First, I'm 6'3" which was an issue in the Interstate. It is my understanding the Atlas has 6'6" clearance throughout the main hallway and bathroom. Is this the case? Any idea if the shower has that much clearance?

Next, I'm a PPG (powered paraglider, aka paramotor) pilot. When not flying, the rear trunk area of the Interstate seems to be a great place to store the paramotor fully assembled, and standing. Does anyone have a reference for the dimensions of the baggage compartments under the Atlas? It seems, aside from a trailer, that would be my storage option.

Finally, a few quick ones:
-Can the TV be up/viewable while driving?
-Can the bed be closed while made, with pillows in place, or do the pillows need to be stored?
-Can the bed be opened without extending the slide-out, should "stealth" sleeping be required?

I know this thread is several weeks old, but seems most appropriate since multiple Atlas owners presented themselves. I'm eager to place my order and join the community, reading these forums as a lurker has been tremendously informative!

Best,

Reed
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
-Can the bed be opened without extending the slide-out, should "stealth" sleeping be required?
I can only answer this one... Yes. Bed can be opened without extending the slide out.

There is also an Atlas section in Facebook... if you do FB...

https://www.facebook.com/Airstream-A...3526966069421/
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I can only answer this one... Yes. Bed can be opened without extending the slide out.

There is also an Atlas section in Facebook... if you do FB...

https://www.facebook.com/Airstream-A...3526966069421/
Thank you! I will browse that entirely to avoid asking repeats of existing available information.

Plus, the first person to ever reply to me is wachuko! Seems I have a bit of a wachuko list of questions.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Thumbs down

RJCInterior headroom is 6’6” throughout

Other answers...
1. Yes
2. Yes, but not with pillows
3 Yes

Finally, none of the storage compartments are large enough to stow a PPG.
We added a hitch mounted Thule storage box to ours which might do the trick.

Hope this helps
Old 05-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #14
RJC
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Reston , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterface View Post

Finally, none of the storage compartments are large enough to stow a PPG.
We added a hitch mounted Thule storage box to ours which might do the trick.

Hope this helps
Definitely helps, thank you very much for the responses. Seems I'm sacrificing either way. For now the GT might fit my lifestyle best if I can cope with not being able to stand up completely, unless I'm under the fan above the wardrobe. Seems that's what this comes down to...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I recently sold my business and am looking to buy an Airstream coach. I set foot in both Interstate models today for the first time, but the dealer didn't have an Atlas available. I noticed a few posts here by Atlas owners, and thought I could get some pointers.

First, I'm 6'3" which was an issue in the Interstate. It is my understanding the Atlas has 6'6" clearance throughout the main hallway and bathroom. Is this the case? Any idea if the shower has that much clearance?

Best,

Reed

The short bed should be the killer for you. At 73 inches, it's 2 inches shorter than you are. One of the shortest beds I've seen in any class b (except the rare cross-sleeper). And the sad part is, it looks like they had room to make it 3-5 inches longer just by making the slide wider and the bed the width of the sofa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlas Bed.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	314890  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Midwest city , Oklahoma
do you still have your atlas...if so how many miles, etc

thanks,
Tom
Tstidstfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #17

2014 27' FB Classic
medford , Oregon
Got a 2019 Atlas on order with the Tommy Bahama package, will be here in about a month. Any suggestions for a tow vehicle?
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Got a 2019 Atlas on order with the Tommy Bahama package, will be here in about a month. Any suggestions for a tow vehicle?

I thought the Atlas was a motorized RV? Maybe you mean a toad to tow behind, not a "tow vehicle?"

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

Peter

PS -- Atlas threads FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ey-172716.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ry-184772.html
https://www.google.com/search?q=atla...=airforums.com

"toad" search results using new search function in blue box above:

https://www.google.com/search?q=toad...=airforums.com
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterface View Post
We just took delivery of an Atlas in late Feb. after cancelling an order for an AI. The correct decision for us and are very happy with the Atlas and the additional roominess it provides.
Do you have any updates on your new Atlas? Sounds like you were very happy with it's roominess and other features.

Thanks
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #20

2014 27' FB Classic
medford , Oregon
We are happy with the Airstream Atlas but have had some issues.
1. Air noise and squeaking around the main entrance door and we put a rubber seal around the door. This has really helped and no more squeaky door.
2. The sliding door in the bathroom would release and slam against the wall. I had to remove the door stop and made adjustments so the door stop fit properly.The rear magnet that also holds the door was bent out of shape and was adjusted.
Lots of other minor issues but they have been resolved. The Airstream Dealership is 300 miles away. The Airstream Factory been great to work with!!
String is offline   Reply With Quote