Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Los Angeles , California
New 310 series owner - 1984 31ft.

Reaching out to any veteran airstream 310 series owners to get some great tips and secrets of the trade!! I just purchased and am renovating my drivable airstream. It's going to be my home for at least a year while I travel the US for my work as a plant based chef. Excited about the possibilities and also a tad concerned about possible challenges. Looking for advice:

-Any great routes in the US you would recommend?
-how is your solar working for you?
-how does it take turns and corners, mountain roads?
-any fun gadgets you've found?
-trying to figure out where to put my roadbikes for safety?
-want to utilize top for star gazing, ideas?
-things I should know about living full time in airstream?
-how much is it to stay at length in an RV park?
-what's the best system to get so I have great internet no matter what.. for work and watching movies?
-best security system for airstream?
-best window shades... don't want big curtains...just slim shades

*Any and all advice is welcomed!! I'm excited for the challenges and amazing experiences. I had NO IDEA what a strong airstream community existed in the US!!

hugs,

K
rawroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
K,

Welcome to Airstream 310 ownership! I can't answer most of your questions but for internet you could look into the Verizon MiFi setup. I use it here at home for my internet access. It's not as good as cable or DSL but it is a LOT better than satellite. However if you're totally out in the boonies and don't have cell phone service then the MiFi won't work either.

As for the spare tire cover you could check with the factory at Jackson Center Ohio. At one time (2000?) they still sold replacement covers.

Good luck in your adventures

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
What does a plant based chef do?

Some answers, and unsolicited advice:

We have an iPad that we can either use with a wifi signal, or pay for Verizon service at $20 per month. We start the Verizon service when a trip is coming up, and stop it when we get home.

The Natchez Trace and the Blue Ridge Parkway are motorhome-friendly drives. Each is a federally maintained north-south road of about 400 miles, 50 mph speed limit, no trucks. Not as spectacular as the national parks out west, but good roads to get familiar with your coach.

You know how when you see a sign warning you that a curve is coming and you should slow to 35, you figure that as long as the road is dry you can slip through it at 45 or 50? Stop doing that. Go 35.

Downshift going down steep hills. Use the same gear going down that you would have to use going up, and you won't overheat your brakes.

We don't hook up to city water. If there is a leak in your plumbing, city water will reward you with a soaked carpet. You onboard water pump will warn you of any leaks by running when it is not supposed to.

The national speed limit was 55 mph when your coach was built. It doesn't want to go much faster than that.

Enjoy your year...
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
Lake Luzerne , New York
K, I am a "newbie" as well and just purchased a 300 LE in Northern CA the beginning of January. I had it gone over by a great team of mechanics in Hayward, CA - top to bottom. If you want to visit these guys (JJ Jr's) tell them hi for me. Replaced all worn hoses, new spark plugs, filters, front disc brakes, etc. Then drove Route I-10 to avoid bad weather in 8 days to FL. The only problem I had was a bad fuel pump down your way which had to be replaced in Indio, CA. That required dropping the nearly full gas tank as the pump is inside the tank. Job completed in about 5 hours and back on the road. Flying J was the least expensive place for gas. WalMart parking lots were a cheap way to spend the night when there was nothing scenic to see in route. I had a ball and only advise getting the AS checked out prior to your trip. Fun to drive and after a few days you'll be able to parallel park too! Enjoy, Jim
ADK Jim is offline   Reply With Quote