Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2004, 12:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Never seen one...but I want one!

I have a 1974 Argosy that was originally 24' and converted to 31' in 1981. I love it. There are already a number of great stories to tell about it but today I come with a new quandry.

I want to tow a utility trailer... That in itself is not a big deal, but I really want the "look" of the trailer to "fit" with the MH. Now, I'm not at all apposed to a new aluminum "square" pace arrow or something but I think I can do better. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a SMALL utility trailer that is shaped like an AS? I have even considered getting a bambi and converting it, but they are hard to find around here and I would feel pretty bad doing that. I have considered making one out of the back of a 1970's VW Squareback also, that is not AS looking but it would match nicely with my Argosy. Most recently I have veen toying with the idea to make a very simple frame (an elongated cube basically) and doing all the rest with fiberglass...

I've never done any "fabricating" of any kind, but I am quite inginuitive and I can figure out anything so I'd be willing to try it!!!

Well I suppose this is to ask if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing (a cool utility trailer (not fabricating)) and what people have seen out there?! Thanks for all the help!!
-Logan

p.s. This is a shot from the back (I hope this works...)
pillageTHENburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillageTHENburn
I have a 1974 Argosy that was originally 24' and converted to 31' in 1981. ..... There are already a number of great stories to tell about it but today I come with a new quandry. .... I suppose this is to ask if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing (a cool utility trailer)]

Logan

I was wondering how your "adventure" was going - please post some of your stories - I KNOW you have to have some by now.

As far as a "utility" trailer - it depends on what you want to do with it.....

The best bet for a "look alike" would be to find a "rebuilder" - maybe a gutted AS someone had started on and pick up their "project".

Be aware, though, that the 325/345 series (and maybe others) are only rated to pull 2,000 lbs.

That doesn't leave much net after the weight of a barebones trailer tare is factored in.

I do, however, pull a 2,500 lb Saturn as a toad.....it was the closest thing I could find that was light, cheap, and would tow easily.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Seacoast , New England
Have you considered a teardrop trailer? They are very light, cute and many of them are made oout of aluminum....

Barb
Barbara Peerenboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Teardrop

Barbara has a good idea - a good starting point for research is here.....

http://www.teardrops.net/

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 09-29-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
just fyi- we had a member who towed a bambi behind his 310 painted to match, too. Not a storage trailer, but a place to put the teenagers when camped that is...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Mind you I am still very new to this... you mention "325/345 series" is that Engine size? This one is a 454 Chevy engine on a p30 chassis...I think.

I have only 560 lb of equipment that needs hauling (at the moment). As this would probably NOT be a living space (although I have not ruled it out as a dual purpose trailer like the newer "toy haulers") the weight/size of the trailer at this point wouldn't be too much.

I have definitely toyed with the teardrop idea, and looked at the T@B trailers ($$$$$$). I live in Reno, on the drive up to the lake there are about 5 old teardrop trailers parked in a back lot of a store that sells those bears carved from tree stumps... they look to be in disrepair, maybe they used to be rentals. I will probably go ask about them soon. The thing about the teardrop trailers that might prove difficult is the shape...I need to haul three speaker cabinets, though not too heavy they are cumbersomely large.

I can't get into it right this moment but the most recent MH related endeavor I took on was completely new front brakes (rotors, calipers, pads, one bearing, one seal...) it was quite exciting being that I had never done breaks on ANYTHING before and I had no book or manual to look from. It all went quite fine, in fact I was quite pleasantly surprised as to how relatively simple it actually was! Now I have two cool 70-pound doorstops!!! I also learned that I could have done it on the side of the road anywhere with only the tools I had in it (a VERY relieving feeling)

I have pictures to show you all too!!

-Logan
Old 09-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Quote:
... you mention "325/345 series" is that Engine size? This one is a 454 Chevy engine on a p30 chassis...I think. .....
Logan:

The 325/345 denotes the model (32.5 feet long, 34.5 feet, 37, etc...)

See this thread for a brief discussion on tow ratings.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...tow+rating+345

Also, check out this link:

http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/

This is Fred Hind's site - I find Fred's site to be VERY valuable for specs, comparisons, and general knowledge.....he has the various models broken down by both year and model. Fred has done us all a great favor by keeping his site current with mostly "vintage" units......Go Fred......We all appreciate his efforts.

Good deal on the brake job.......those door stops make for good conversation starters!

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 09-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I have a 15,000lb door stop
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
updates...

I promised updates when I got the time. Well I got the time.

I posted them on a previously running thread that already had a lot of info about my adventure on it...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=12560

Enjoy, there's a lot more where that came from!!
-Logan
Old 09-30-2004, 10:46 AM   #10
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Logan,

Another thing to look for is a Burro or Casita camper that you can gut and renovate for storage. They are small, lightweight (fiberglass) and rounded.
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63wind
Logan,

Another thing to look for is a Burro or Casita camper that you can gut and renovate for storage. They are small, lightweight (fiberglass) and rounded.
a 13' Scamp would be about ideal. There are a lot of them sitting unused in back yards, they are older and more numerous than Casitas or Burros. When I visited the Scamp plant in May a few years ago, there must have been 200 13' Scamps sitting behind the plant waiting for the spring rush.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
I really like those ideas!! I have seen a scamp or two around... for some reason I just blew them off as a cheezy trailer but I think it might be ideal for my situation. Since my Argosy is painted anyway I could paint a scamp to match and that would help tie them together.

Anyone know of a cheap (perhaps gutted) scamp for sale on the East Coast??

More suggestions are welcome!!!
-Logan
p.s. I live in Reno Nevada
Old 09-30-2004, 12:51 PM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Scamps

Quote:
I really like those ideas!! I have seen a scamp or two around... for some reason I just blew them off as a cheezy trailer but I think it might be ideal for my situation.
-Logan
p.s. I live in Reno Nevada
Scamps are at least equal in quality to the Casita and Burro. Scamp is a family-owned company that has been in business a long, long time. There are some sad looking little Scamps around, but they may very well be 30 years old.

I had a 19' Scamp 5th-wheel (actually a gooseneck) and with a couple of small exceptions, the workmanship and materials exceeded most SOB trailers and the interior equalled my International AS and approached my Classic in quality.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I have a 15,000lb door stop
Been parking the MH against the dweeb neighbor's front door again, Steven?
Terry
Old 10-03-2004, 07:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good job with the brakes Logan. Most of the jobs I took on in upgrading and repairing my Airstream were ones I had never or rarey done. It gives a great sense of accomplishment when you can then go on a trip, and experience little or no anxiety over pending failures.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 07:27 AM   #16
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
Been parking the MH against the dweeb neighbor's front door again, Steven?
Terry
Hee hee! Actually we gave some of our new neighbors a tour yesterday. They loved the AS. What a difference.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:49 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Beverly Hills , Florida
Smile

I just returned yesterday from a 2100 mile trip from North Carolina to Florida. I have a 1989 370LE with the Ford 460 and Gillig chassis. I pulled a 10 X 6 utility trailer ( probably weighs 500 lbs at the most) that carried a HD Softtail Custom and a Sportster. Total towing weight was about 1400-1500 pounds.

The rig towed it like a champ. I got 6.2 miles per gallon ( or is that gallons per mile?) and I had no problems. I ran between 60 and 65 ( 3000 - 3200 rpm ) on the interstates and never had any engine whine or transmission strain. Engine operating temp was a steady 220 degrees at all speeds. I was very happy with the performance of the rig.

I'm moving to Florida next month and will stay there in the fall, winter and spring. I plan to live in Lake Tahoe, CA in the summers. I will tow the bikes and just buy a crappy car when I get to California and leave it with my son to store when I return to Florida. That way I can have both transpo modes.

Happy trails.........
Old 10-08-2004, 09:38 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
frusteration...

I relly like the idea of a foberglass trailer...Scamp, Burro, etc. etc. That would be perfect. My biggest problem is that I have NO IDEA where to start looking!! I have looked all over on the internet and they are all "upgraded" or "custom interior" or "super fancy and expensive!", I just want something that has been hibernating in a backyard for the last 11 years. Does anyeone have any ideas as far as where to look? grrr... A New, completely empty, 13' scamp will cost $5,600 and that is before shipping!

-Logan
Old 10-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Logan,
Get to know your local RV Dealerships. They auction off old junky trade-ins all the time. Stuff they take to get a deal but can't sell on the lot. You can also try RV salvage yards. Do a quick search on this forum for some names and even websites.