Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #1

1992 34' Legacy 34
SODDY , Tennessee
Need help (newbie)

1992 34 foot gas legacy

Ok here it goes:

I have some tears in the side around windows. I know i can fiberglass them when i fix the problem that has created the flexing. I pulled the interior panels off around window and found that the foam is glued to the fiberglass. I have read that when the glue releases from the fiberglass it will cause issues(bubbles, or cuts).

Here is what i think:

The po made panels and placed around inside windows (panel was over the trim not under it) and the window was just floating. When i look at the foam and metal i noticed something out of place. The foam has voids (missing something) between the metal beams. So it is (starting from bottom going up) metal, foam, then a 3" void of nothing, then foam, then around 1.5" void, foam, and window.

What i think i will do:

Find some wood and trim it to fit in void and glue it to fiberglass. Then reattach the interior wall (after removing window) then install window with buthel tape. This way the trim ring, on inside, is over wood wall and would sandwich the window. I think the problem is that there was no support for the window causeing it to vibrate in and out causeing stress. Now there was a water leak at some time, but it is fixed. I will post pictures of issue later tonight when i get home. It was late when we got done and forgot.

?????????????

(1) What do you think about voids between foam?
(2) What bonding glue do i use to bond the wood to fiberglass?
(3) Do you thing i am on the correct course or should back up and punt.

P.S. I did a intro in the newbie section and here is a pic of our ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	169513  
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I had a similar issue with my 92 LY. The walls were damaged from a roof leak at the aluminum corner round that connects the roof to the wall. Once the roof was repaired I had a fair amount of interior repair as well.

The walls are constructed as a laminated series of (starting from outside to inside) of fiberglass bonded to 1/8" luan wood bonded to 1.5" foam board bonded to 1/8" luan and then wallpaper.
The problem is the glue that was used to bond everything was water-soluble. Once water gets into the walls the pieces delaminate and the wood luan rots. If the water freezes between the fiberglass and the luan, then the fiberglass cracks with it expands.

On my unit I needed to replace most of the interior wall on the roadside and about a 4' section on the curbside. I basically removed everything starting from the front inside until I was down to the outer fiberglass and then rebuilt it from the outside back in working in about 4’ to 8’ sections. I used Gorilla Glue as my adhesive because it's water resistant and maintains a strong bond for years. Others may have other opinions but that's what I used with good success.

At the window penetrations I removed the windows and used black butyl tape to seal the windows. The windows should have foam insulation going right to the inside window frame rail with luan bonded to both the outer fiberglass and the inner wall sandwiching the fiberboard insulation. Here's a graphic that might help explain it:

As you can see there are no gaps around the window from outer wall to the inside luan covered wallpaper. Also note that the wallpaper covered luan goes inside the inner window trim. There are some gaps inside the walls between the interior framing and some insulation boards, but there should be no gaps around the window openings themselves. The window frame needs to have a solid circumference to clamp onto in order to make it water tight. Basically the window frame and the inner trim ring clamp around a solid wall from fiberglass to wallpaper using around 32 screws give or take depending on the size of the window.

My guess is the PO did some shoddy repairs if you have inner wall boards on the outside of the inner window trim. You're on the right track. Just take your time and it will work out great.

PS: You'll more then likely run into a lot of wet wood between the fiberglass and the insulation. Just pull it out and replace it with new luan once it dries. Bond the luan to the fiber board and then bond that assembly to the outer wall. Then cut and bond new interior luan to the inside fiber board. You can even wallpaper inside while the windows are out for new seals.

PPS: I used clamps and hardwood boards around the window opening when rebuilding the walls in order to ensure a strong bond all the way around. You'll find that the window openings were cut a tad too big for the window frames so pay close attention to how much material is under the window frame lips especially at the corners.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

1992 34' Legacy 34
SODDY , Tennessee
Thank you for the instructions. I have view you threads on you LY. Truthfully this is one reason i joined. While we are at it we are going to change up some things as well. We are removing the two swivel seats and doing hardwood floor. Then we are going to make a cabinet around 2 foot deep and half the wall so we can put us a 42" flatscreen tv on it (while parked) and spin it around for outside viewing with window open and screen shut. It is just me, wife, and kids so we can use some fold ups for extra seating. We desided to do this because it would give us more room.

I just picked up the onan gen 4kw that suppossiably came out of this rv. It says gas for fuel but appears to be propaine converted. At least that is what the PO told me and looks like the line running to the carb is 3/4" line to 1". Where is a good place to break down the numbers on tag.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Post the Model number and serial number and I'll see what I can do.

Here's a link to a great Onan site. They have manuals and a lot of knowledge:

Onan Generators - SmokStak
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote