Old 08-04-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Round on both ends
1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Okay, what is the flat door thing on the back, and who would go to such trouble to fake something like this?

1975 Argosy 28 "Argosy"
1979 Excella 500 31 "Betsy"
1992 Lincoln Mk 7 LSC
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
The one that scf31 is talking about is the one from the E-bay link below. It is definately not a real NASA vehicle. The one you are talking about (with the flat door) is the real NASA quarantine vehicle, used in 1969 Apollo mission. The one in the E-bay ad is a 1973.

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #17
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
OK - I reread the ad and strictly speaking - the seller isn't saying this is THE NASA trailer - although it certainly is implied...

From the ad:

1973 Airstream Trailer with NASA Mobile Quarantine logo
Vehicle Description

Here is a nice 29' Land Yacht trailer with a colorful history.
Ya - I bet!

It has NASA logo's on both sides with " National Aeronautics Space Administration Quarantine Unit Manned Spacecraft Center" . It is the same lettering and logo used in the Apolllo missions for the four quarantine trailers that the astronauts used after each moon mission. On the right side has a MTM ( Mission to Mars) painted logo.
Doesn't say who put em there!

In 1997 the Public School System purchased it and put it into service as a mobile Mission to Mars lab for kids. It was not used for more than a year and put into storage where we purchased it from.
Read: smells really odd - like used preschool inside...

We have only been able to trace it's history back 10 years and can not verify its original owerership.
Uh huh. But I'm almost certian space guys slept here..

It lives in Orlando, Florida and survived all 4 of the 2004 hurricane with only one significant dent at the rear on the left side (it did not break through to the interior or create a leak). The exterior aluminum is in OK condition with scuffs, scrapes, and abrasions. The roof-top air conditioner works but the cover is missing. I have not hooked up the fridge or stove but believe they are in working order. The kitchen and front half of the trailer is primarily intact. The rear area interior has been removed leaving only the walls, ceiling, and floor, no bathroom.
What does primarily in tact mean??? No Bath = no plumbing probs - space men don't need to pee..?

It is very towable, however the tires are old and should probably be replaced for traveling more than a short distance.
But they are good enough to tow off my property - sellers warranty ends at property line.

Please check into what shipping / delivery costs would be to your area prior to placing your bid. It is VERY expensive to ship overseas.
For small additional fee I can push it into the harbor - it might float to your shore.....

Gosh - I think I'll bid now.
1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:11 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
It was a botched attemp to remove the WBCCI numbers, Hell , the whole thing looks botched,maybe good for a hunting base camp,
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #19
1983 28' Airstream 280
Kennedy Space Center , Florida
NASAs Airstreams

We have 3 Airstreams still in service at NASA. They are all 28ft 1983's that were purchased for use in the Shuttle program. Two of the systems are at Kennedy Space Center in Florida and the third is at Dryden Flight Research Center in California. One of the vehicles, called the AstroVan is used to carry Shuttle crews to the launch site. The other two were outfitted for Landing support called "Convoy Command Vehicles". In 2004, the KSC Convoy Command Vehicle was replaced with a Winnebago (to allow for a larger landing support workforce) and we refurbed the unit as a mobile science laboratory called the Telescience Lab Airstream. It is outfitted with a 30ft telescoping mast, an inmotion TV system, a 1.2M auto pointing satellite dish and lots of communications and computer gear.

The Astronaut Van Airstream is outfitted mostly with seats along either side to support a shuttle crew of 8 and their airpacks. The back drops down and turns into a set of steps and ramp. The Telescience Lab Airstream is outfitted with a table that seats 3, a couch with 3 more work locations and desk areas for the driver and passenger locations.
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:34 PM   #20
. , .
Originally Posted by NASAGuy
In 2004, the KSC Convoy Command Vehicle was replaced with a Winnebago........
oh the agony and embarrassment of it all!

just kidding.

it is still a u.s. made product...right from corn country!

hey if you really are a nasa guy it's great to have ya on the forums....

maybe you could post some interior photos some time for us airstream junkies.....i'd love to see the inside of those classic mohos used for the space crew...

i'm sure others will have questions about the a/s units still in service, but i've got 2 more specific nasa questions for ya.....

1. is it ok to stir my tang with a fisher space pen?

2. why do the space guys need tempurpedic beds?

cheers and welcome to the forums!
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California

Lets welcome NASAguy to our forum and thank him for taking the time to give us the info. Current pictures would be great.

TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:40 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Welcome NASAGuy to the Forums !!! it sounds like there is a lot of life in those M/O's , Please keep us updated, and some pics would be great !!!!
Movie Stars and Film Crews come to Me from hundreds of miles enticed by My knowledge, My imagination,expertise, creativity and innovations!
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Is it me or is the Astrovan jacked way up in the back end? Looks like they need to take a look at the air levelers on the rear suspension. Or have they got the front end droped so as to make the last step equal in drop to the top steps. It would be rather embarassing to see the shuttle comander do a face plant getting off the bus.
I'm watching them run out to the shuttle this a.m. and they look to be going down hill all the way.
Nice rig for an '83! Wonder just how many miles are on these units? NASAguy can you enlighten us?
I note the same rear setup as my unit with the clamshell drop down stairs and swing up window!!
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Has anyone seen the AS MH in Washington, DC? About seven years ago, while walking from the capitol building to one of the war memorials, through one of the parks...parked alongside one of the maintenance buildings there sat a was definately on federal property in the park though.

Was just wondering how many AS the federal gov. has purchased for "command centers", astronaut transport vehicles, or just for "camping" (only presidents and senators, of course).

zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote