Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
My new lady, a 1987 345 rv

So I had an opportunity to buy a 1987 airstream 345 that i could not pass up. I have been working the last few weeks on restoring and fixing the numerous problems on it It had been dormint for 12 years but its in really nice shape. I live on a farm and Im also kinda handy with the tools. At 67 years young it time to start to enjoying the rest. Can anyone help me finding a wiring diaghram for the coach. I have two overhead interior lights that I can't figure where they get 12v power from(the lamps on either side of the front air conditioner on the ceiling) . My other camper is a an 89 Bluebird Wonderlodge but I like my Airstream better. Thanks Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	302366  
Lightman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Welcome to the asylum Lightman. You have found the right place to hang with your brethren here on the classic motorhome forum. Lots of good reading for you there, as well as lots of help in any challenges you come across.

Very interested in hearing about your wonder lodge, quite the contrast to the 345, must be near twice the weight, very substantial impressive beast.

It was sad to see the towing setup used for you coach, others have sustained damage to the tag axle mounting area in towing that way. Hopefully your is OK.

I've been across the country and back in mine and many shorter trips in between, plus I full time in it, love my 345.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
You’ll find a downloadable manual with the Airstream wiring on Airstream.com. Navigate to the service section and look in the 1980s Motorhome section. If you look in the sticky in the Classic motorhome section of this site, go to post 93 (ish) where I posted links to all the chevy service manuals, electrical manual and fuel emissions. Good luck Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
Good project!

My old Wanderlodge:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	302430  
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Nick, Thats perfect thank you so much and that was exactly what I was looking for. Thats going to make life so much easier. Lightman
Old 01-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Nick. Checking the manuel and its saying that a 87 345 has a combination set of three switches at the location it describes but on my coach it only has the off/on switch for the steps. Could mine be a eariler fersion on the 345. Ken
Old 01-16-2018, 12:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightman6 View Post
Nick. Checking the manuel and its saying that a 87 345 has a combination set of three switches at the location it describes but on my coach it only has the off/on switch for the steps. Could mine be a eariler fersion on the 345. Ken
Ken - I'm not sure how far in you've got. I think the best place to start is the electrical section of the Airstream manual. Read it several times until it all sticks. The key thing is to be able to clearly differentiate between the Chevy stock wiring (in those Chevy links I posted) and the Airstream wiring which sits on top of the Chevy chassis. For example, steps, internal 12v distribution board and dash air con are all likely to be Airstream modifications, not Chevy.

I'm not sure about the three switches you are referring to, but if you post a little more detail, I am sure someone can help.

Also, it's conceivable that your coach has 86 wiring, although badged as an 87. To complicate matters, on some coaches e.g. my 1991 250, the set up does seem to vary between the coaches. For example, the Kwikee step set up on mine seems different to other 91 250s. It's sometimes difficult to ascertain whether this was a factory variant or whether a previous owner made any modifications.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Again that you Nick for taking the time. It must have been my a.d.d kicking in. I need to dig deeper. It would appear that when the factory was ready for a change they just kinda did it when ever. When i found the schematic which had 3 switches on it I came unglued. One of many short comings. Ken
Old 01-16-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Welcome 345 plus 67 EXLNT

Hi Ken, As you step inside on your left are 3 white rocker switches. The first one should help your problem, "down" allows only the one ceiling lamp to operate , "up" allows both forward cabin lights to be operated by their respective ceiling light switches, "mid" position allows neither to operate for obvious reasons.
A good idea is to lubricate the switches on the lamps with carbon greese for smooth operation and inprove conductivity. Also I'v changed the two out off three with Leds, so the incandesant kicks in to warm up lighting on high.
Step by Step it all comes simple. They are a legacy designed product so your's will be just like mine.
Hope this Helps
Russ
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Thank you Russ for the advice but Nik pointed me to the electrial layout. You are correct ..most 345 and 325 have three switches on the left as you walk up the steps. Mine only has one ..it is the control switch for the steps. My forward cabin lights aren't getting power and Im still looking for answers. Could mine be a much eariler version. It looks like the manuels for the mid 80 coaches are all the same. Thank you for the help. Im sure theres an answer out there somewhere. Does anyone have a coach with only one switch on the left near the coach control panel? Lightman
Old 01-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Tricky prob, as we all know thoes forward ceiling lights shouldnt come on while night driving, Mine has a few rocker switches for the driver to control exterior lights and floor cabin lights. I guess your'v tried yours to see if they are isolating the circiut . Black horizontal mid dash.
Thats me run out off knowledge .good to here the ending.....
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Nothing worse than an old fool but a half blind one. I found my switches they were down at the floor not where the manuel described them. All is well and thank you again Nick and Russ. Im sure there will be more situations in the future. Im really glad there is a community of shared intrest in these old pieces of Aluminium. Lightman
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Manassas , Virginia
Richard,
Do you have a source for the replacement of the window treatment (curtains) for my 345. The sun has put the death wish on them and they need to go. Ken