Old 05-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #15
BTB
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
Had the same problem...

...on a Suburban. Turned out it was a melted catalytic converter. And it would also happen when going up hills.

This is when I learned to change the O2 sensors on a regular basis - 80k miles. The O2 sensors get old, the engine pumps in more gasoline, and the excess gas gets burned in the cat, which over time gets too hot and melts.

I had a hard time diagnosing it too...

Bill

Old 05-21-2016, 01:24 PM   #16
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My 325MH engine keeps missing

Judging by what I have read, I think you have a fuel delivery issue,,, BUT, the mention of a melted converter is a real possibility, and a difficult to diagnose issue that I imagine affects many older vehicles and some newer ones.

The last melted converter I had stymied the "experts", I had to diagnose that one myself.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Calgary , Alberta
Well.... after pretty much exhausting the electrical side of the equation I focused my attention to the fuel side near the tank. I tried the electric fuel pump, no correction. Read in a thread somewhere to check the vapor line returning to tank. Thought that made sense so I dropped the tank and low and behold the line is completely squashed coming from the tank! Not sure if that is it or not but when the tank is back in, maybe tomorrow, I will let you know the results.
40 years of pulling back yard wrenches and maybe I got to learn something!
Great day! What a journey!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I know what I'm about to say has been said over and over again, so if I sound like a broken record tell me to bugger off.

While you're mucking about with fuel lines, how about replacing the lot as they are 30 years old and pre Ethanol. Ethanol eventually degrades the vintage fuel lines to a point that they start leaking. We have lost a number of coaches in the past few years due to engine fuel fires and that dinky fire extinguisher inside is just enough to piss the fire off, not put it out.

By the time one owner, on his maiden journey after an extensive restoration, had his Mom phone him to say smoke was coming out from beneath his coach, it was too late.

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Tony - what product would you use to replace the fuel lines. I think my stock lines are a combination of rubber and steel.

Cheers
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-01-2016, 10:26 AM   #20
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Use a good brand high quality rubber hose to replace the rubber portions of the current lines.

I would not replace the steel portions unless they have corrosion issues.

Superat stultitia.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #21
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Use a good brand high quality rubber hose to replace the rubber portions of the current lines.

I would not replace the steel portions unless they have corrosion issues.

Superat stultitia.
+1. Any modern fuel line will be Ethanol compatible. I don't off hand know the size of tubing you need as mine is a diesel, but it shouldn't take too much to figure out what sizes and lengths you need. You will feel better getting it done.

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Calgary , Alberta
Still scratching my head over this one. I unhooked the fuel line from the manual pump and ran a line from a 5 gallon jerry can and the problem still exists. Tells me it not a supply issue (?) from the tank but somewhere between pump and carb. Took the carb off,again, rebuilt it, double confirmed float level and problem still exists. Could it be the jets? It ran fine all the way from Ohio last year when and even here at 4000 ft with the exception of the lower half of the tank. That's when the issue starts. I am now thinking to switch out the intake and carb set up with a "Performer Series" Edlebrock set up with a 650 CFM. Still open to any suggestions.
Jim
Old 06-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I had the same symptoms except for me the fuel level did not matter. Finally resolved by heat wrapping the hard fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor. When fuel would sit in that line, right behind the radiator, laying on a hot engine, it would boil. When I tried to accelerate, the engine would miss until the bubbles were worked out. Maybe not your problem because of the fuel level issue, but it might help some.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Calgary , Alberta
Well I never did find out the exact cause of the problem for the miss but it is fixed! How so you ask? After completely exhausting all efforts and after hours of just sitting thinking I decided to replace the carb and intake, because why not? Installed a Edelbrock Performance series RV intake and 650 CFM carb and things now work as they should. As an aside the engine runs at a steady 185 - 190 on the highway which is 20 degrees cooler than the cast iron set up and the mileage on my recent 500 mile test trip ranged between 9.5 - 10.2 which I will gladly take over what I was getting before.
I know this post is not much help to anyone who might be experiencing the same symptoms, and it drives me nuts that I still don't know what the issue was, but this was my cure.
Now onto the interior curtains/blinds etc. and new FlexSteel seats.
Jim
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #25
Agent 86

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
In hindsight, I say you were running lean before.

That would explain everything.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.