Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
MSD Tbi saga

After a couple of months of off and on work the Argosy ran to the gas station and the TBI works just fine. Also the Gear Vender overdrive is great. At 65mph
in low (which is straight through) its turning 2900 rpm, in over drive the revs are 2300. Seems to still have plenty of power in overdrive.
Still not quite finished with the install of the TBI as I have to locate the fuel pressure regulator and run the return line. Not hot today so didn't need the return line but I understand that vapor lock can be a problem if the temp gets over 85 or 90.
Now the bad. Got to the gas station, about 7 miles from home just fine and put in $100. of regular. Went to start and it just clicked. Called home and darling wife was at a quilt show and busy. Called a buddy and he was busy for the next hour or so. Lucky, the rig was on a slight down hill and I was able to coast out of the islands to a open parking area. Got out the jumpers and jumped from coach batteries but no go.
The TBI has a hand held gauge that shows the battery volts. It showed 12.4 so it wasn't the battery. No buddy so I called again and he asked what it sounded like. I turned the key and it fired right up. It seems the starter doesn't like to work when hot. So I drove home and put it in the shop and sure enough it would not start. An hour later it started right up. New starter tomorrow.
Have pictures of the TBI install which I'll share when its finished.
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Al, does your 75 have the remote start relay installed? Not starting when hot is a common problem for the early coaches. Here's a link discussing the installation of a relay to help alleviate the problem.

Looking forward to your TBI pictures

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
I was having pretty much the same problem, I cleaned and tightened the ground strap from the left rear of the engine to the frame and so far so good.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waipio Rim View Post
I was having pretty much the same problem, I cleaned and tightened the ground strap from the left rear of the engine to the frame and so far so good.
Steve, I'm assuming your coach has the hot start relay installed, correct?
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Steve, I'm assuming your coach has the hot start relay installed, correct?
No hot start relay. If the problem comes back I will go that route, but the starter in there now is brand new so I am hoping that I won't need it. I put it in before our last trip from San Antonio to Louisville via your house (thank you again for the awning rail), and had no hot start problems after cleaning up the ground strap. That's probably all it needed in the first place, but at least I have a new starter.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I dont know your TBI setup but on a GM TBI system, if you dont have a return line, not only are you taking a chance on boiling fuel at any ambient temperature, you are also not regulating the fuel pressure!
The return line my TBI is the outlet of a pressure regulator. With that plugged, you deal with whatever the fuel pump delivers and that will, at minimum, give you poor gas mileage and drive the ECM crazy trying to get the air fuel mix correct.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I dont know your TBI setup but on a GM TBI system, if you dont have a return line, not only are you taking a chance on boiling fuel at any ambient temperature, you are also not regulating the fuel pressure!
The return line my TBI is the outlet of a pressure regulator. With that plugged, you deal with whatever the fuel pump delivers and that will, at minimum, give you poor gas mileage and drive the ECM crazy trying to get the air fuel mix correct.
The MSD TBI doesn't require a return line dependent on what your are running. However vapor lock can occur if the temp gets too high. So the run to town for gas yesterday caused no problems as far as the TBI is concerned. The starter was the issue and Brad has the answer as usual.

Thanks Brad
Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Al, does your 75 have the remote start relay installed? Not starting when hot is a common problem for the early coaches. Here's a link discussing the installation of a relay to help alleviate the problem.

Looking forward to your TBI pictures

Brad
FORD Solenoid here I come...Thanks Brad
al