Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #41
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Get an Allision. They are available but there will be the need to get one that has a stand alone computer. IE not integrated with the ECM Computer.

6 forward speeds and should be bulletproof. Of course you will have to re-gear the speedo, but that is the easy part. Just replace the OEM Speedo with an electronic one

It might also get you a few More MPG, and prolong the life of the powerplant. If you rebuild the T400 and add a gear vendors while you are at it you will spend more than what a used Allison should cost IMHO.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 06:32 AM   #42
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Rebuild the 400, it is a very strong trans, it will get you out of there cheaper and quicker than anything else.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Towing - the proper tow for your MoHo

Below are a couple of pics of the tow rig that Good Sam's sent out.

The wait for a rig was longer than usual because the "closest" recommended rig was out of commission. The travel time for the rig shown was three hours.

Again, good praises for Good Sam's, they asked all of the appropriate questions, - they were looking for health/safety issues first - made sure that we were "OK" (able to handle the situation mentally), and fished out that we knew that no work could be done until Monday - they even offered to tow us to a campsite and retow on Monday morning.

All the people we talked to with Good Sam's were based in the Boston area. They had all the resources in the area listed on their computer, I could not imagine me calling through a yellow pages list late on Saturday trying to find a tow truck that was outfitted properly to tow the MoHo.

First pic is "loading the front end - notice the tow orperators "helpers" doing the paperwork in the backround - a Saturday evening "family affair".

The second pic is the 345 "on the hook". I was unable to get a shot of the entire tow rig - it was sooooo looonnng.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-223S.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	6494   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-225S.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	6495  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:28 PM   #44
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Dennis,
So sorry to see your tranny troubles happened away from home base. Looks like you had things very well covered. Your experience had convinced me to join Good Sams right away. I've been flying without a chute for far too long. Did I read this right that you're planning to replace everything or just the tranny? Also, why the plan to stick with stock? I was sure you'd put a 502 in there.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #45

1975 29' Ambassador
1981 28' Airstream 280
Midland , Michigan
There's just something about an Airstream motorhome.
Just too much fun and soooo many options for upgrades etc.
I recently purchased a 1981 29' that was designed as a limo.
It is currently undergoing a bottom up restoration.
The body is removed and it is disassembled down to the frame.
Your Airstream journey will bring numerous hours of fun.
Good luck.
Fanceypants
fanceypants is offline   Reply With Quote