Old 04-20-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Moho on Ebay cheap?

There is what looks like a really nice Classic AS motorhome with low mileage on ebay at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=50057
that has 10 bids and is at what seems like a low bid. Any ideas why it isn't already at a higher price? If I were in the market for a Classic Motorhome, I'd bid on it!

Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Looks like a nice one. If it goes for that price maybe I could own two

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
since the reserve has not been met, who know how cheap it really is? But it does look good and is porbably worth 10 grand more than where it now sits.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:05 AM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess my real question is why hasn't the bidding reached a higher level this close to the end of the auction. It looked like a well cared for motorhome to me so I checked some of the resently concluded auctions and found a couple that were similar that went for the low to mid twenties and thought this one seemed as nice or nicer than the two that had concluded and were the same length and vintage. It just looks like a bargain if nothing is wrong.

If the reserve isn't met, the owner still might sell to the high bidder or be willing to negotiate with the high bidder rather than re-list. Depends on how motivated he is and the actual condition of things not listed in the description or visible in the photos.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I noticed lately sob motorhomes that were snapped up quickly in the past have been hanging on Ebay a lot longer with little or no action. I followed one very nice HR Imperial that should have brought 30,000 and did not bring 18,500 and went unsold three times.
Not sure what that really means as the market supposedly is still strong on used MH's and other RVs. But maybe that is hype, and the gas situation is taking some time to adjust to. A good buyers market then?
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 04-21-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I have noticed that the classics have not been bringing good prices latley. A 1991 in Florida just ended for $16,200, another '89 only made it to $12,000. Possibly it is the fuel prices we have to pay right now.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess it would be a great time for somebody to go bargain hunting. Too bad I'm not looking for a motorhome. I think the classic Airstream motorhome is a rolling sculptural beauty. Especially the dual axel jobs. If I ever decide to go with a motorhome, I hope I can find as nice of a unit as this at a good price.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I am always interested in discussions of market price trends, even on things I am not actively shopping for, so I like this thread.

One of the great things about e-bay is that through looking at completed auctions it provides the least biased pricing information source I have seen. Certainly far baetter than any blue-book type information, which is almost laughably unreliable.

But it is worth remembering that, especially since the rise of bid sniping programs, that bidding trends during an auction mean very little. It is only at the conclusion of the auction that any useful information can be derived. In other words, it is just the last ten seconds that really matter for the record books, just like in basketball.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would say if you are selling its a good time to wait, if you're buying its a good time to act.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 04-21-2005, 12:45 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I guess I started this thread for the same reasons you are interested in it bobechs, from the philosophical point of view. I'm not interested in a motorhome at this time, but I have always admired the Airstream Classic motorhome. The newer Land Yatchs are nice in their own rights, but not the same as the Classic.

I know the new Classic will be out of my price range for the forseeable future as I have other projects in the works and really don't think I will want one enough to ever want to plop $300+K down for one down the road, so a used unit would be the only way I would ever wind up with one. So from that perspective, I have a latent interest and I guess it is info to be tucked away for future reference. But compared to the other two that recently were completed on e-bay, one for $33K in CA and one for $12K in FL, this one looks to compare with the $33K and just interested in the way it goes on the bidding.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I think the classic Airstream motorhome is a rolling sculptural beauty. Especially the dual axel jobs.
Minnie's Mate - I couldnt agree with you more!

Interestingly I just saw the report for Feb New MoHo sales and diesels are up 7% this year. Now at about 45% of the Class A market and expected to exceed 50% in the coming years. It has more to do with the load carrying capacity of DP platforms than fuel economy and the fact the DP's and Gassers now have some significant overlap in the 125$ - $200 range. Seems like new unit sales are not slowing in the face of ever increasing gas prices. In fact they seemed to slow more pre-election than now.

Still - a deal if I didn't already own one. That exterior is in great shape and it looks complete. Even if it needed an engine/tranny you would still be ahead of the game with that shell.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
This particular classic is a re-list. It was on E-bay a few weeks ago. I don't remember what the high bid was but obviously not enough.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
along with Steve's post above, I read this and thought it worth posting; from
RV-news.com
"All motorhome shipments of 5,900 units were reported in December, a gain of 7.3% over this same month last year. Year to date, all motorhome shipments grew 16.0% to 71,800 units, their best total since 1978. Type A motorhomes were again the category’s largest selling products with shipments of 46,300 units, up 11.6% over 2003. Diesel chassis were reported on 48.3% of all type A motorhomes shipped in 2004, the highest rate ever recorded. Type C motorhome shipments of 23,000 units were 25.7% greater than 2003, the fastest growing segment of the RV market in 2004."

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM