Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2002, 09:15 AM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Microwave not working

I have a Sharp Carousel microwave/convection. It's boxed in pretty good. After making New Orleans style dirty rice for 25 minutes, it completely shut down. The cabinet around it was really hot. No smoke smell. No lights, power, nothing. I tried resetting the breakers (none were popped). It is bolted down. My next step is to take it out and try it outside the RV. I also need to test the electical socket.

Should the box be better ventilated? The food stored in the cabinet above was pretty hot. Has anyone drilled ventilation holes in the side wall?

To make matters worse, the rice was too spicey for our taste.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred,

Is there a vent grate above the microwave itself? There is a need for air movement for proper cooling of the microwave. If there is a vent, did any air come out of it when the microwave was working? After you pull it out, I owuld have a appliance shop check for a blown fuse. It just may have never been worked that hard before. I would also check the ventelation and air gap around the unit itself. there should be enough air flow to keep it cool enough to not die from the heat! You may also find stuff has fallen into or down from above and created an insulation effect.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 11:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
There is no grate anywhere! No above, below, behind, or to the side. There is only a 1/8 inch gap around the unit on the sides and top. The bottom has a 1/4 gap. My manual shows a vent in the top rear. I'll know more when I pull it out. If I get it working, you can be sure I'll cut some ventilation holes.

Look at 1984 345 (A) on my site. It's not mine but you can see how tight they have that micro in there.

All the new micros have a ventilation grill above, below, or both.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Talking

It was that rice. You know there is relationship between Cajun food and microwaves. You need an open pit, or bah-b-que

My microwave has the vents built in to the lower front side. I think it is as old as my coach.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
I pulled out the microwave last night and there is no ventilation behind it. The unit does have vents in the rear (the vents to nowhere.....).

Well, I did test the AC outlet and it tested good.

I took the unit home and opened it up. Bought two new fuses today - which it promptly blew seconds after starting it up. I guess it's time for a new microwave. This unit was manufactured in October of 1984. I guess it's time.