Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2004, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

MH Tire presure?

I confussed. The new Goodyear tires on the front of my MH tire sidewalls call for 110 lbs, but the Owners manual says 70lbs. That's a 40 lbs difference, and that is a real BIG difference !

Right now the tires have 110lbs in them, it rides like a log waggon, and it wanders all over the road.

I wish I knew what the correct pressure really was.

Stumped.
Don
Old 02-21-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

It sounds like you might have 12 ply tires? If so that's the max cold pressure that tire calls for. This tire is made to carry a heavier load than the weight of your motor home so you have a little extra reserve. By inflating to the higher presure your ride will be harder and your emergency stopping distance will be longer. As for the wandring, that sounds more like a loose steering box or front end which is not related to the higher tire pressure. Good luck and happy trails, Stuart
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:14 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Don,

I have/had the same queston with regards to my recently purchased 1994 33' LY. Here's what I think. The tires you have on your LY (me too) are not the orig. spec tires. I suspect you have 8R19.5 tires with max load at 110 PSI. I also suspect that the orig. tires were something like 225/70R19.5F which support more weight at a lower PSI.

Goodyear has a nice chart that shows the differences (FOR THEIR TIRES), and the impact on load capacities if you lower the PSI.

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
Old 02-22-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks for that link. The Classic MH I have had 90 lbs per tire in it when I first bought it and drove it home. Rode like a truck of course.
I read the manuals, and for our models the inflation rates ranged from 55-75lbs.
I dropped mine to 60 and improved the ride tremendously. Since then I have added Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer, and with the correctly inflated front air bags, the ride is totally different than my early ownership experience.

There is a chart posted in mine with suggested inflation rates on it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Don and all other New MH guys like me. I remember my Father in Law, who just passed away, weighing his front and rear axle fully loaded. I now see why as it all came back in: http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...VTIREGUIDE1pdf
(Link is moved but this will get you there, just keep clicking) Guide works for all brand of tires as long as you have your brands inflation vs lbs which you all ready have. Michelin chart is also available and you have all ready posted Goodyear. Yes it does appear all of us new MH people are big time over inflated for weight. I am trying to get ready for a trip and don't have time to get to scales, would someone give us approximate weight on our axles for this type of rig so we can get closer. I'll bet it is going to tell us that we need a lot less air than we have now. Ron
PHP Code:
Recreational Vehicle Tire Guide 
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

some more food for thought...maybe we should go by the potential max gross weight, that is, the most the vehicle should weigh as published in the owners manual. The actual weight of the vehicle, of course, will change depending on the fuel load, number of people on board etc..
stuart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 10:07 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Pflugerville , Texas
'82 310 weight

Front 5260
Rear 8700
30 gas, full water, Mh loaded for vacation and two people on board.
Bill
Old 02-22-2004, 10:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

How about weight on these 90s model Land Yachts like Don and I have? Anybody weighed them?
Old 02-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

I couldn't get the Goodyear site to open the pressure page. Don't know what's up with that.

But another point to consider is the pressure the rim is built for. On another forum someone stated that the max pressure was 85 to 95 lbs max. If that's true, with 110lbs I'm 15 to 25 lbs over the max pressure the rims were designed for.

I'm trying to get ready for a 500mile trip this coming weekend, and I'm still confused !

Stumped in Arkansas
Don
Old 02-22-2004, 06:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Alcoa Rims

The Alcoa Forged Wheels (aluminum) that are original 1987 are rated max 90 psi with a bias ply tire, and 95 psi with a radial ply.

Both tire types provide a max rim load rating of 2780 lbs per tire.
Most of the modern (post Y2K) tires have a weight rating in excess of the above, but my rims limit me to 5560 lbs on the front axel.

Be aware that there are several different allowable max weights for various axels that were used over the years on the P-30 series chassis.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

donnall, I pulled up your Good Year numbers from Wildtoad's suggessted site and also will give you the numbers for our max potential gross weight with a couple of assumptions. Our max front Axle weight is 5000 lbs and if divided equally each front tire would carry 2500 lbs. The rear axle is rated for 10,000 lbs maximum and each dual tire would carry 2500 lbs. Now I know you are supposed to weigh each postion seperately and not make assumptions that left and right are the same or that the vehicle is loaded to the max. However, since we are assuming the numbers are: Goodyear minimum pressure for a Single 8R19.5 at 2540 lbs is 70 lbs sq in. The dual in the rear is derated to carry 2610 lbs at 75 lbs sq in. That is as close as you can get using the Goodyear numbers. My Michelin numbers are only slightly different because they can carry a little heaver load at lower pressure. The tire pressure suggested on our front driver's door is 70 lbs front and rear. The calculated numbers are very close to the suggested use for a RV at our assumed heavest weight. Ride and handling are sacrificed if you carry much higher pressures. At 100 lbs your tire can cary 3305 lbs front and each dual can carry 3195 lbs in the rear. This is way over the gross vehicle numbers and much more suitible for a truck carrying heaver loads. I am going to let some air out of my tires tomorrow before I head out on my trip. Your min numbers are 70 front and 75 rear using the Goodyear numbers at max gross weight. Higher pressure will reduce handling and braking distance. Weighing our vehicles will surely ease our minds as per the posted Michelin Site cited above. Ronassuming
Old 02-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by donnall
I couldn't get the Goodyear site to open the pressure page. Don't know what's up with that.

But another point to consider is the pressure the rim is built for. On another forum someone stated that the max pressure was 85 to 95 lbs max. If that's true, with 110lbs I'm 15 to 25 lbs over the max pressure the rims were designed for.

I'm trying to get ready for a 500mile trip this coming weekend, and I'm still confused !

Stumped in Arkansas
Don
Don, don't go over the max inflation pressure of the lowest amount. If your tires say 110, and your wheels say 95, inflate to no more than 95. I got into an argument with my boss over that, he told me to inflate to the higher pressure, which I did under protest. I was vindicated a few weeks later when the vehicle came back with a fractured rim. I got an apology from my boss, and he got to write a check for a new wheel for the customer. It could have been much worse....
Have a safe trip.
Terry
Old 02-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Thanks guys,
I'll be letting the presure down tomorrow.

Ron, you must have got your new engine installed. Bring everyone up to speed on what you had done and how it went.
Thanks again
Don
PS: now if I could just get my LP heat to work I'd be set to go.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Donnall, Talked about engine on the Mechanic section. Ready to go to Florida. No A/C as my unit appears to have been converted to 134A and was not done correctly. I will make last miniute attempt to get new dryer and evacuate and recharge tomorrow before heading out. Ron
Old 02-23-2004, 04:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
Ron
just returned from Florida and it was 80 degrees in Sarasota. had my overhead air on.coming north. my dash air has gone south also . id try real hard to get the dash air going as you will need it.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Al, I appreciate the advice on A/C. Trying hard to get that fixed. hopefully have located a dryer that will fit the 3/8 flare fittings and will have that tomorrow. If anybody needs that part number for our Land Yachts for the filter dryer from O Reillys it is 33318. I have run out of time getting ready for trip so will have local garage do an evacuation and recharge. Hope that does the trick but will not know until then. Don I hope you can figure out your LP Heat. I assume you mean the furnace. I haven't had to work on mine yet but if I can help by making voltage checks or something let me know. I need to get some LP tomorrow and check everything out but I believe my furnace is still ok. My 1996 Atwood water heater does not like to restart sometime but if water gets cold enough (too cold) then it fires right up. Sounds like a sticking thermostat but I can live with that for my trip. Don I have tried to call a couple of times but can't catch you at home. UPDATE: Dumb me, All that was wrong with my water heater iwas that the flame/air adjustment was wrong. Read instructions on adjusting flame by loosening screw and setting shutter until yellow disiappears and now it starts fine every time with out the explosion! When all else fails........
Old 03-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Hi Ron,
I just got back from Branson and saw your post, here's my numbers.

870-935-2024 (studio)
870-243-0400 (cell )
870-972-0838 (home)

It's kinda hard to catch me nights, but I'm at the studio every day.
Give me a call and let me know how your trip went.

Don
Old 03-18-2004, 07:54 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up thank you!

Just got home with a couple of new tires...8 x 19.5 and thought My brakes were bad or something...

checked and had 100 pounds of air pressure in all 6 tires....searched the forum and got a good answer again....thanks.....jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:37 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

To a new person like me as I read through the posts which include my own, it is a bit confusing on tire pressure. The magic starting number for most of is 70lbs and it is posted right on the driver side frame of the door. We are sometimes mislead because the tire may clearly say 110lbs and the tire installation guy is trained to set the pressure like it was a truck utilizing the max capacity of the tire. Unfortunetly that max setting is totally unsatisfactory for us and can produce an unconfortable if not a dangerous ride in our RVs. I learned the above the hard way. Another subject: I have also been told our front P30 air bags should be set to 50lbs. My question is: Is this a correct amount? I cannot find it in my manual though I admit the P30 Chevrolet part is missing from my AS book. I just removed and replaced my original Magnam A/S shocks (almost 11 years old). The removed and imprinted Yellow A/S magnum shocks looked very similar to my new Yellow Monroe Magnum RV shocks that are now installed on my MH. And yes the old ones were pretty far gone. I am trying to get my AS performance up to spec and seem to be learning something new every day.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #20
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Yes 50 to 55 Lbs is the proper inflation level for the front bags. I do not know if this is actually documented anywhere. I have all my manuals and none of them have the proper air pressure listed for the front bags. Having them properly inflated makes a tremendous difference in the front end bounce. The coach will feel much firmer.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote