Old 03-31-2014, 11:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
Kenwood receiver in 2014.5 Interstate

Is the Kenwood receiver supposed to be connected to the TVs or the Blu-Ray player? We brought home our new Interstate last week, and we haven't spent much time with it, but it's sure not obvious how or if those are connected. There are some audio and composite video cables near the Blu-Ray player that aren't connected, as well. Any ideas on those?

Otherwise, we had a nice weekend our in our "touring coach." The nicest part was no checklist when it was time to go.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
Is the Kenwood receiver supposed to be connected to the TVs or the Blu-Ray player? We brought home our new Interstate last week, and we haven't spent much time with it, but it's sure not obvious how or if those are connected.
As far as I know, the Kenwood unit is not connected to either television. It can be connected; if memory serves, there is an unused AV Output on the back of the Kenwood head unit that can feed to a television. There should also be an "AV Out" icon on the touchscreen.

Though I'm not sure why you would want to send a signal from the Kenwood to a television, unless it's to display your Garmin navigation screen on the televisions to forestall the inevitable question of, "Are we there yet?"

By the way, you wouldn't be able to control the television from the Kenwood unit, only send a picture-and-sound signal. To control the television from the Kenwood touchscreen, you'd have to add a control relay for the television as well.

The reverse case— sending a signal from the Blu-Ray player or televisions to the Kenwood unit— is not recommended. You'd need AV Input rather than output, but also, if you could see the television program from the driver's seat, that's illegal in most jurisdictions.

You MAY want to send the audio-only signal from the televisions to the Kenwood unit; this would allow you to use the front and read stereo speakers for the television audio, in place of or in addition to the television speakers. I think a few Interstate owners have done that.

Quote:
There are some audio and composite video cables near the Blu-Ray player that aren't connected, as well. Any ideas on those?
Can't help you there. My 2012 Interstate didn't come with a Blu-Ray player, only televisions with built-in DVD players. Maybe it's to let you hook up a game console to your televisions to keep the munchkins amused?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
Monroe , Washington
I wasn't clear. I want to hear the audio from my Blu ray player on the speakers in the Interstate. This was doable in my international trailer through the stereo unit. I haven't figured out if it's wired to do that in the Interstate.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:47 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by quilter View Post
I wasn't clear. I want to hear the audio from my Blu ray player on the speakers in the Interstate. This was doable in my international trailer through the stereo unit. I haven't figured out if it's wired to do that in the Interstate.
No, not wired for that. But it can be, if you want to make the effort. Blu-Ray or television audio output to Kenwood audio input. There are a couple of Interstate owners on the Forums that have done it, but I'm not one of them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 04-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Lazy scouter

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Plano , Texas
I'd like to see the rear view camera on that nav screen. Is that possible?
Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrap View Post
I'd like to see the rear view camera on that nav screen. Is that possible?
You would have to disconnect and remove the mirror-mounted monitor (it just clips on over the original mirror) and route the camera output to the AV Input of the Kenwood head unit.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 09-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Kenwood receiver in 2014.5 Interstate

TV Audio to head unit.

Not a sexy solution, but after looking at what a pain it was going to be to route the cabling I installed a "line in" jack in the dash and use a 25' headphone ext. & male to male patch cord connected from TV headphone to line in.

Allows me to listen to front or rear TV over stereo. (Nice for rear when generator is running - that thing is loud!) and the TV volume control on remote still controls it.

Line in jack was simple 2-RCA to 1/8" and plugged right in. Head unit pulls out real easy, lots if room back there.

Re: rear camera on jvc, I skipped due to same laziness. Running lots of wired around the door jam and under the dash.

Besides, I like to have nav and rear view camera (split screen works but small).

I did end up putting a boating mirror above visor area so I could see what was going on in rear of van.

I have pics of all loaded on one of the mods post on this forum.

If you decide to pull cables from overhead to unit is love to know the cable routing. Please update all of us. Good luck.

Mike

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote