Old 09-26-2003, 04:29 PM   #1
Its always something

Well it is always something. I am shiping out later next week to pick up the MH 24 Argosy. I called the mechanic to touch base and check in, engine is done but theres always something. The mechanic says theres a leak at the transmission. He says I sould make it back just keep checking it along with the oil, brake fluid and water.

He said his shop does not do transmission, they send it out. I remember about not leting anyone touch the MH with its new engine- so do I again nurse the old girl back. Maybe do 500 miles each day til I am home?

Old 09-26-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
The damage to the rear has been inspected. Mechanic says its plastic and the waste lines are good. So It seems I migtake some super glue and duck tape check it really well and take care of it when I get back.
I tried speaking to the tow company but no luck, I thought this would be the case.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
LOST , Hawaii
Did he say where the leak was or how bad? Most trans leaks are pretty easy to fix, new gasket or O ring.

OTOH if it isn't bad it won't really hurt it, watch the level closely and keep a bunch of fluid on hand.

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Thanks Jhon:
I think I will just observe and top up till I get home. Its strange I have not had the pleasure of using her but I do have the Buxitus and just can't wait to see what I can work on when she's in the pad area.

I just hope its not imediate or emergency work.
I need a new dash, remove carpet and resurface (shag type) and fix that darned rear panel.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If it's leaking out of the bell housing it's the mechanics fault. It is recomend to replace the the torque convert seal and converter bushing If the engine is out. It's VERY easy to replace these. Pull the converter off. pry the old seal off. fish the bushing out. install the new bushing. install the new seal. slide converter back on and make sure it locks into the dog ears. It is a 5 minute job ....really it takes no more then5 minutes.

The reason you replace that seal is it often fails when you unbolt the converter from the flex plate and push it back towards the transmission. There is usualy dirt or rust the it get run over. If the seal is hard it fails. It's just something a good mechanic always replaces because this is a common issue. We are talking $7 in parts here.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 AM   #6
Thanks Toaster:
The engine is already finshed and installed and I am 1000 miles away. The only time I can inspect is when I pick her up. This obviously will be too late to have this guy do anything about it. Trust is a big issue when dealing with people and I have not had too much luck with that so far when dealing with my MH. I should think that if this guy is supposed to be real good he would have dealt with this just out of a matter of pride in his work. If it cost so little any real mechanic would have so I am just hoping and wishing (I break into song when I get her home).