Old 10-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
Dachsiemobile

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Is there a way to manually retract the macerator pump hose if the reel motor stops wo

We emptied our black and gray tanks this morning, and when we started to retract the hose, the hose reel motor blew a fuse, and then another one, and then a third one. We are going to get a resettable fuse tonight when we stop, and are going to totally extend the hose all the way out before rolling it back up to get rid of any jams in the hose, but are on a 2-week trip and would like to know if there is a way to retract it manually just in case our motor gives out before we can get in to get it checked out. I have nightmares of us driving down the highway with it trailing behind our vehicle, or worse yet - having to cut off the hose and carry it inside the vehicle... Ugh!
Jim and Cynthia

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 10-24-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I'm not aware of any way to retract this hose. Best to be very carefully not to let the hose bid up on the reel. It has been pointed out on this forum that the reel is only designed for 20 feet of 3/4 inch hose, but Airstream uses 1 inch hose because that works best with a macerator pump. FYI on the Roadtreks with a macerator they just have a compartment to coil up the hose manually.

In two years and 45,000 miles of traveling and constant use of the macerator pump I have not had an issue with the hose reel. I have however jammed it up a few crime and quickly stopped to pull the hose back out so I didn't overload the reel motor.

Hope this is useful.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybree View Post
We are going to get a resettable fuse tonight when we stop, and are going to totally extend the hose all the way out before rolling it back up to get rid of any jams in the hose
Best practice is to totally unreel al 20 feet of the hose every time you dump anyway, even if the sewer connection is only three feet away. That way there's no residue left inside the loops of hose on the reel.
Quote:
but are on a 2-week trip and would like to know if there is a way to retract it manually just in case our motor gives out before we can get in to get it checked out.
The whole point of having the fuse is so the fuse gives out before the motor. But, if you run out of fuses, it should be possible to crawl underneath and manually turn the reel, pain the the keester though it would be.
Quote:
I have nightmares of us driving down the highway with it trailing behind our vehicle, or worse yet - having to cut off the hose and carry it inside the vehicle... Ugh!
Don't be ridiculous. If you unreel the hose all the way, you should find that if you crawl underneath, you could unscrew the hose from the reel to take it completely off. I can't imagine that it's permanently attached.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
This sort of thing just makes me feel that the current trend to electrically power everything - be it slides, awnings, dump valves, hose reels, etc isn't really a great thing on an RV - heck, I almost wish my tongue jack wasn't powered!

So much more to go wrong - and eventually they seem to, if only due to corroded contacts as the vehicle ages.

As long as these devices have a simple manual override I guess it is fine, but I'm not sure they all do.

I think that RV design is a great place to adhere to the "KISS" principle!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
Dachsiemobile

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Best practice is to totally unreel al 20 feet of the hose every time you dump anyway, even if the sewer connection is only three feet away. That way there's no residue left inside the loops of hose on the reel.The whole point of having the fuse is so the fuse gives out before the motor. But, if you run out of fuses, it should be possible to crawl underneath and manually turn the reel, pain the the keester though it would be.Don't be ridiculous. If you unreel the hose all the way, you should find that if you crawl underneath, you could unscrew the hose from the reel to take it completely off. I can't imagine that it's permanently attached.

Makes perfect sense to unroll the hose all the way when dumping, and we will always do that from now on. Somehow we must have missed that instruction in our initial training at the dealership. One other thing - when looking at the manual and the fuse panel, we were confused b/c the manual says that the hose reel takes an orange 2 amp fuse, whereas the fuse panel clearly shows a blue 15 amp fuse In that position. We had read that there were some typos in the manual....

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums