Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Crowley , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Daddy4Bob
Question Interior lights

We have owned our Airstream ('82 280) for almost 2 years. I have made many repairs & modifications to the unit but I cannot figure out how to replace the overhead lights. How do you remove the fixture?

'Can't never did nothin'!' - My Dad
Daddy4Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 09:55 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Fred needs to chime in with the exact directions, but I will say as I remeber, VERY CAREFULLY pry out one corner of the leaxn/plastic and kind of twist it out. It is a real tight fit.

If you are replacing burnt out bulbs be careful that the wattage you install is the same as what you take out. the 1156 bulb may look like the one you pull out but is of a higher wattage. I know Fred had some overload issues, but I do not know if total wattage was the issue.

I found a compatible base at the autoparts store that has a smaller glass bulb but the out put is the same from a light standpoint. I do not remember what the bulb number was.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:02 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Crowley , Texas
I don't think any of the bulbs need to be replaced right now, but there are a few bugs in the fixture that I would like to remove. Plus they rattle as we travel down the road.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we did a thread on this sometime back, you might search for more info...but I wanted to mention, that when I did it, I left the lights on for a bit to warm up the covers, pried them out carefully, washed all in dish washing liquid, and then reinstalled. I replaced all the needed bulbs at one time, and washed all the lenses. It took less than an hour to do all mine.
I also replaced some of the bedroom bulbs with lower wattage so as to make one unit more of a reading light and create less disturbance when it is on.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 11:08 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Crowley , Texas
I did a cursory search for the topic but did not find it originally and I have been meaning to join this board anyway, so this is kind of an ice breaker. I just finished removing, cleaning and replacing the lenses. They look much better now with out the bugs. I still want to quiet them down a bit though. Any suggestions?

Old 09-25-2002, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by ALANSD
I also replaced some of the bedroom bulbs with lower wattage so as to make one unit more of a reading light and create less disturbance when it is on.
I've also been wanting to do this. Even with one bulb on, it's way too much. Both bulbs in my bedroom lamps are Type 1076 . I've found that Type 94 are also S8 bulbs, single-filament, double-contact, with less than half the candlepower (and 3.5 times the life). I'd like to put a dimmer bulb in one of the two sockets.

NAPA doesn't stock the Type 94, but will special order a box of 10 for $17. Is this the one you used, Alan? Anyone found an alternative or other source for Type 94?
Old 09-25-2002, 11:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I believe it is the same size without actually checking.
I had some single filament bulbs that fit the socket ( same pins on the outside) and worked well to lower the light from those suckers. Boy they were bright, plus with the overhead lights they were way over-kill. Thought about colored lights, but i like the low white light for reading.
As for noise, mine don't rattle, but I did have rattles around them in the trim work around the curtains and windows, and so on. I tightened evry screw I could turn, and replaced a few that were not tightening. This helped quite a bit. I would suggest that thin foam tape could be use to quiet the light lens covers if it will allow them to still be put back in.
also here is a link to the other thread on light covers.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...t=light+covers

My main noise is road noise, and I am wanting to eventually upgrade the carpet and pad to help stop some of that.
Wonder how noisy in general other motorhomes are? My only experience is my own.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 01:54 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Crowley , Texas
I liked PeterH's idea of using the belt sander to adjust the size of the lens. Never miss the opportunity to use a power tool. Then maybe some weatherstrip between the top of the lens and the fixture to quiet the rattle.

My carpet has been upgraded by the previous owner. He used some really thick padding. We don't complain much about the road noise so maybe it worked. We still get a lot of wind noise around the driver and passenger windows though.

Old 09-25-2002, 02:21 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you can hear wind noise count youself lucky. The road noise and powerplant noise I get blocks out all but hurricane strength wind noises. I am planning on upgrading my carpet and pad, and may add some "road Kill" in the drivers/passengers areas.

John, have you had a chance to see how the ceramic instulation cuts down on the noise in your resoration?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Bob,

Ditto to what they said above .

Welcome to the group. It's great that we continue to add new members. I know you'll find this group the best resource for assistance with your MH.

Just a word of encouragement, replacing those bulbs is on the "If Fred can do it, anyone can" list. I do use a flathead screwdriver to get the edge of the lens out of the frame. Be careful since the screwdriver could break the lens.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote