Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #21
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
PDF of what I did below, changes, additions? How about safety instructions, discalimer? I used Word, some have Excel, some don't, unless there is a strong demand to use it.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How To.pdf (16.0 KB, 136 views)
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
....As to the program, a spreadsheet would allow for the time/tools/costs/difficulty to be easily defined. The how to, can be a Word document that is a template of steps. This would allow for some free form writing describing the how to steps without constraints. 2 PDF's per project, one is how to, the other is what you need.............
If the format is to be PDF, I would think it would be better to keep everything in one document, rather than multiple documents for any given project.

On the other hand, a compilation of documents in Microsoft Suite (XL, Word, Power Point, Project, etc,) makes things SO much easier to work with, download, massage, and customize for each individual's own needs and record keeping.

The existing format of the Forums (with slight modification to store the individual program files) could be utilized, where only the originator could modify the post, but all would be downloadable for others to use...

.....but if the real goal is to start out keeping it really simple - my vote is to keep everything in one document per project.

My personal preference would be for a Power Point compatible Format (instead of Acrobat) where each of the "slides" could be downloaded in their original programs (XL, Word, Photo, etc,).

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985air345
......Are you putting photos and diagrams in the .pdf's? (probably) Of course all the .pdf's would be public domain and could be downloaded and saved to your local PC.
The downside of .pdf's is that, once posted, you cannot change them.

The upside of .pdf's is that, once posted, you cannot change them.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH
If the format is to be PDF, I would think it would be better to keep everything in one document, rather than multiple documents for any given project.
My reasoning for using Word, it is fairly simple to use, probably the most common, and the template can be exported as RTF which nearly any other wp can read.

As long as we have the original file we can update the .pdf as needed. If we take the time to do this I hate to see it spread over the internet with some one else taking credit. I have a dispute now another site now for exactly that reason. It is aggravating to see your time and work with another person's name across it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Some type of version control...

It would be nice to have some sort of forum based mechanism for controlling the documents and for keeping track of versions and updates. I am thinking of a mechanism that would allow controlled check out of the original for editing and/or for marking up suggested changes. Perhaps something like MS Visual Source Safe could be used. I know it is generally intended for software source control but it can work for any kind of files. An adminstrator can set up authorized users who can check out for modification while others can have a read only form of access.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:31 AM   #26
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
This is a great idea. Count me in as well. Fred...if you need some programming help let me know. I would be happy to pitch in.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
This is like some of the repairs and ugrades on www.pelicanparts.com a German car enthusiast site. The owners also publish books like "100 Projects for your Porsche" and so on. The books are terrific, with lots of photos and easy to follow directions on everything from level 1 to 5..novice to experienced. I am happy to help any way I can. maybe a template for this like John posted, and we can choose some areas to cull from and then write out the templates, and send to Fred to collate on his site??
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Smile Pilot Mentality: An Oxymoron

My pal, Josephhh's Freudian tendancy seems to get the best of him sometimes, but I think this is a great suggestion.

Regardless of the software used to capture the information, a legitimate concern is protecting the integrity of the information once it is posted, and of course prohibiting individual profit or gain; hence copyrighting could potentially be a big deal. Maybe that's presupposing too much, but then again it might be a good idea to get a legal opinion, or we just don't worry about it an press on!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
townsend , Georgia
Photos

I am new to the forum so my inexperience will help to simplify it for those like myself. Clear photos of the process would greatly help as a visual aid. A before, during and after type thing. Just my two cents as I see its very easy to get lost in the jargon that is foreign to most beginners.
deaun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Great idea! Many forums have a DIY section, and anyone interested in documenting a process or repair can post a new thread there. People can then ask questions or add their experience.
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
Great idea! Many forums have a DIY section, and anyone interested in documenting a process or repair can post a new thread there. People can then ask questions or add their experience.

I think that's pretty much the mechanics corner forum. Unless I've been posting in the wrong place.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I think youre right Kota. I think the key to it is figuring out how to SEARCH. There is a ton of info right there. After two years, Im finally figuring out how.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 PM   #33
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
use Google or other 'search' engine... like this on ixquick.com search engine:
airforums "shell off"

Yielded this post:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-17197.html

It is more of a 'polished' art, searching on Airforums.. =)
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote