Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2003, 09:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Macon , Georgia
"Houston this is Odyessy" Getting the 24' Excella back to GA

Hi Ya'll.
Two newbee members here - Josephhh and Leemo - both proud owners of rare and coveted 1979 24 foot Excella motorhomes. We have successfully completed the difficult and dangerous mission of transporting my newly purchased unit from Tulsa to Macon GA. Three beautiful, sunny, Fall days of driving down I-40 like a couple of happy idiots. (However, we DID bypass the heater hoses...(thanks)) Uneventful, except for a front right brake caliper that decided to NOT stop working as soon as we left Tulsa. Thankfully, Jim the polisher in Broken Arrow, who we had to stop and see anyway, was kind enough to take it apart and fix it on the spot!. A sticky piston thing... After that was fixed, all else was uneventful except for a few hickups of the engine as we left the Cracker Barrell in Talladega and my copilot occasionally venting something into outer space.
Sporting its six new Cooper tires, the motorhome was an absolute pleasure to drive! The sputters leaving the Cracker Barrell magically went away after about 20 seconds and we continued again like happy idiots onward to GA. We hit Alanta toward the end of the rush hour - which is dangerous and tricky. Too steep and you burn up - too shallow and you ricochet off to Panama City. We survived re-entry. She's now at home in the new hangar. Renovation in progress.
Her name is Odyessy.

Houston, its good to be back!
Joe
josephhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
welcome to our forum!
Being an Atlantan myself, I have bounced of rush hour traffic more than a few times myself.
Bounced right into a bar one time.

We seem to be gathering a mighty group of GA Airstream Motorhomers here. Hopefully this will lead to a gathering of like minds at some point.
Glad you all made it home safely.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Congrats on your successful and safe journey.
Another jewel found its way home!
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Congradulations

Glad to see you made the adventure OK.
It is a small world, we live in Broken Arrow and talking of buying a MH and never knew this one was for sale around here.
Guess we will find one some day and probably in timbuck too or Atlanta since they all seem to be headed that way.
Just hope our orignal journey is as successfull as yours.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Its amazing as I looked around Georgia for one for months and never saw one for sale. Had to go to Ohio for mine.
Guess I started a trend
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Thank you all for the nice comments and encouragement.
Now, if someone can help me fix this broken entrance door handle paddle thing I will be completely happy.
For today.

joe

PS: It really looks roomy with both sofas removed! Maybe shag carpet and a bean bag....
Old 11-19-2003, 10:15 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Congradulations! sounds like a great buy and a neat trip)

Im another new Ga owner, although its been in the family for years. Alensd has got a good Idea...maybe a GA rally in the spring?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
A Spring rally sounds like a great idea.
I better hurry up and find that stinkin sofa bed...

joe
Old 11-20-2003, 09:28 AM   #9
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
If you have a rally on the upper side of Atlanta, let me know. I don't driving in Atlanta with just my vehicle, I don't want the adventure of pulling an A/S through Atlanta. Welcome to our neck of the woods!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 01:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
would you all consider an April weekend meet at a nice park like Mckinney on Lake Allatoona? It has 180 or more sites and great lake views. Or we could reserve space at Red Top Mountain on the same lake. Right off I-75.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-20-2003, 02:10 PM   #11
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Atlanta Rally

Either campgroud at Red Top Mtn. sounds great! Been there once and plan to return. It is really pretty there.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Welcome

Welcome
Airstream 24' 1979 motorhomes ain't so Rare.
I know where there is one right now,(It is in my driveway) LOL
Honestly you do have a rare one and how rare I would Like to know, my guess is 200 built (unconfirmed).
I love mine and I know you will love yours too!

Post a picture
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #13
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Pictures... pictures Thanks

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Acworth , Georgia
Oddyessy Co-pilot Here:

In deed, Houston, it is good to be back. Where Josephhh lives the neighboring county, Houston County is pronounced "House Ton." Nice term to describe the motorhome; a favored object of obscure desire.

Our "Apollo 13" return mission could uniquely parallel a version of the late Archie Campbell's "Jason and the Are-gone-nuts". Needless to say, our excursion from OkLeeHomer (Doh!) to the Macon Delta was a gripping experience!

The motorhome handled and ran very well, with the exception of a number of minute yet annoying squeaks caused by a few missing screws in the cabin area. Fortunately, we were able to silence most of the squeaks by wedging a few shop towels here and there, and also grounding multiple boxes full of supplies against and under a variety of support structures. Anyone needing tips on strategic shop towel placement, can contact me or Joesehhh; we plan to write a book much like "The Man's Guide on 1001 Ways to Use Duct Tape."

The oh so brief 5 1/2 hour right brake job would have only taken about 2 hours had my trusty pilot and Space Cadet friend, Josephhh, restrained himself from introducing his, to quote Jim, "$&#*ing bright ideas." Jim, the most honorable, yet outspoken, polishing guy seemed to use the word "Bright" in several of his comments about Josephh. According to him, the Motorhome isn't the only thing with a few screws loose.

While I was in the pilot seat, I repeatedly tried to deactivate the copilot's very audible "Brake!, Brake! Brake!" voice interactive alarm system. It would come on at every final approach. To no avail, I was unsuccessful in adjusting the frequency and the volume...Jim's "bright" logic was quickly crystal clear to me.

As for the unusual "Critical Engine Sputtering Syndrome Problem In Transit" (CESSPIT), it was quite a surprise to both of us. As I was entering the exit ramp, the Odyessy began to sputter. I declared "Houston, We have a problem." I then backed off a little bit and reapplied direct pressure slowly. Fortunately, it opened up for a continuous stream of gas and it ran smooth.

From an "Air Force" guy's perspective, my suspicion was that it was perhaps an "Upper G.I." problem such as a fuel pump problem that the maintenance crew had somehow failed to flush out. No doubt, it had us on the edge of our seats for a few seconds. Of course, we had no way of verifying the origins of this irregularity and too bad we didn't have any RV Immodium 3 in any of the assorted supply boxes holding her guts together.

Regarding Josephh's comment about venting...the motorhome did backfire one time which surprised everyone within a 50 mile radius. Josephhh maintained it was me, but I asserted my innerscents due to the fact that we had both eaten the same thing at the same Mexican restaurant earlier that day.

"Mission Accomplished. Odorsee and Out"

LeeMo
Odyessy Copilot
Newbie '79 24ft Motorhome Owner
LeeMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 06:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
So lemme get this straight- you both have 24' Airstreams?
Gotta see some digital photos when y'all get the opportunity.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
We'll get to work on those photos Houston.
Leemo's is so polished that it whites out the camera every time we try to shoot it...

joe
Old 12-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #17
"Contact!"

1981 28' Airstream 280
Pierre , South Dakota
Just had to stop in and say HI~

I've got an 81 Excella, 28 foot. Love it, although I'm faced with some fairly major repairs at the moment.

Just picked up an airplane in Atlanta, at a little fly-in community south of town. Very cool area. Enjoyed my Atlanta time.

Sounds like you're on the way to having plenty of fun~ good luck!

Kevin
propstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Macon , Georgia
Hey Kevin

Thanks for sayin HI. That is a nice area. A lot of airplane people around Peachtree City, south of the Airport. I'm an ex C130 Air Force Pilot myself.
Please share with us the nature of your major repairs. Misery loves company!

joe