Old 04-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I've been thinking about different tactics one could use if a hail storm is coming and you can't move. I put grommets in the outdoor carpet that I use & thought I'd throw it over at least the end caps I tie it down, but I think it would abrade the finish because of it's rough finish. I've thought about carryimg bubble wrap or something that could be unrolled quickly and thrown over the ends but that's bulky to carry and hard to secure. I've also thought about a canopy with the collapsable pup tent poles that could be attached and quickly pulled over each end. There must be a practical, easy method, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Wouldn't it be nice, if someone would invent and market an inflatable cushion/cover that could be unrolled, spread over the trailer, tied down and quickly inflated with a DC air pump. This might protect from most hail events.

2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
New Mexico Tornados

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
I'm happy to be in the mountains of New Mexico, where tornados just don't exist.
Lynn
Not exactly, I saw a small tornado in Rio Rancho a few years ago and one west of Estancia last year. We also had a tornado warning last fall in Estancia. and they had one near enough to Albuquerque a few days ago that photos were on the news. Maybe there are no tornados in the mountains but we have out share in other parts of the state. Not to mention dust devils which will sandblast your coach in a few seconds.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Not exactly, I saw a small tornado in Rio Rancho a few years ago and one west of Estancia last year. We also had a tornado warning last fall in Estancia. and they had one near enough to Albuquerque a few days ago that photos were on the news. Maybe there are no tornados in the mountains but we have out share in other parts of the state. Not to mention dust devils which will sandblast your coach in a few seconds.
Ah, but, you see, you guys are down in "low country," where that kind of thing is possible. We live halfway to the moon in altitude, so we get cold (really, really cold!!), and we can have some ugly thunderstorms, but the hail winds up underdeveloped, and tornados just don't make it at all.

Speaking of which, though, when we lived in Tejas, I used to throw an old banket over our MG to protect it from big hail storms. It worked well. All that was apparently needed was something to provide a little bit of cushion from the stones.

Lynn