Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2002, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Goodyear G670 RV Tires???

Any one have experiences, good or bad, with Goodyear G670 RV Tires on their Motor home?

I have a price of $204.00 each, including mounting and balance, for a set of 8 225/70R19.5 tires. Is this a good price?

Thank you!!!
TRAPEZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:37 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Question What brand/type tires are you running?

Maybe I should just ask everybody with a Motor home, What brand/type tires are you running?
Old 07-08-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Goodyear G159 8R19.5 Loadrange F ~250 each
Tread 4 ply steel cord
Sidewall 1 ply steel cord
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 05:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
A quick search of 'rec.outdoors.rv-travel' revealed only a discussion of tire pressure and the quality of the Goodyear website and documentation. Also more of the usual chatter and mindless banter and insults found on 'rec.outdoors.rv-travel'.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 07:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
As to price- your quote above seems pretty fair. I would check Camping World as they are having a big sale later this month and you are pretty close to their biggest service shop.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 09:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Talking

I went with the GOODYEAR G670 RV 225/70R19.5 Mount, balance, tax, out the door at $212.50 each, for a set of eight. I am happy with this. I will let you know how they ride. Thank you all for your help. I will post pics. When I get her home.

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 09:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
radials versus bias belted

A question- in the first issues of motorhome Classic magazine which I received, there was a mention of radial tires not being recommended for the GMC motorhomes with steel wheels, because of vibration. They said to stick with bias belted tires, unless you had the all aluminum alcoa wheels. I have steel wheels on my Airstream (with the chromed liners)- any opinions on radial versus bias belted? Mine has radials now.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I did a fair amount of research on motorhome tires before I chose the G670RV. I was looking for quality and service over price. (I found some really cheap prices on off brands, but none were “RV” tires) Having found the G670RV as my choice, I then started shopping to get my price. The Goodyear dealer had the best price by far. The jury is still out on ride, wear etc. as my new purchase is being delivered in a day or two. I will update as it goes.
What type, brand of tires are you running? How are they for you?
Here is a link to a good resource for tire info, maintenance etc. http://www.goodyear.com/rv/

Here is another link to a short article in Motorhome magazine .com on the G670RV tires.

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/new...th=7&year=2002

Scott
Old 07-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

I belive this was also a response to the diffrent stresses placed on the rims based on tire type. Radial stress is greater that bias ply. Conversion s not reccomeded on the GMC's I belive because the wheels were not designed for any thing else. I have Radials on my wheels and they are steel. I also know that the GMC COOP has the ability to "true" the tire and rim assembly to eliminate the vibrations that can occur with the radials. Here was his repsonse to my inquiry regarding tire balancing from Jim Bounds at www.gmccoop.com.

"Dynamic balancing does not work especially on the GMC or other larger vehicles. This type of balancing tries to take into account the out of round tire in the balance process. The problem here is that trueness of the tire can never be compensated with balancing, those are 2 completely seperate issues.

The trueness of the tire and rim assembly can only be accomplished by truing the tire and rim together. There are tolenance issues in the tire and the rim and both must be addressed before you will have a smooth, friction free ride. So, you must true the tire on the rim before the unit is balanced.

There are 2 ways to true tires and rims: on the coach or on a machine. While truing tires & rims on the coach may take the drum and rotor into the equasion, you will be totally unable to rotate the tires at all. Usually, the drum , if all of the weights are still on, will not go out of balance. If weights that were welded onto the drum fall off I would suggest that the drum has much age on it and should be replaced. Cracked or damaged drums are a real hazard. Rotors almost never go out of balance, they are spun to balance them.

While truing tires & rims off of the coach does not take into account drums or rotors, machines that do this are MUCH more accurate than on the coach machines and will assure an absolutely perfectly right job if it is used properly. A bonus to a truing machine is that the tire & rim can then be static balanced on the machine when the truing is complete for a perfectly balanced unit at ANY speed, not just the 3 speeds a dynamic balance machine does.

I tell you now that this works every time, it is not snake oil and if a seasoned tire man is honest with you will tell you truing and static balancing will yield the best results. As George Zimmer says, "I guaranty it"!

As far as truing trailer tires, there is no problem there when using the machine I have and if the drum is damaged, I would always suggest replacing it before it hurts someone.

I charge $25 per tire which is very reasonable when you look at the process and what it does for the tire and your ride.

Trued and statically balanced tires:

1. run cooler (less friction) which means they are safer
2. will yield more mileage (longer life)
3. smoother ride.
4. less wear on suspension components.

Why would you not want all of those.

Truing tires off of the coach is more involved in that the tire must be lifted from weight in a hot state (actually all truing should be done with the tire as round as possible with the cords lined up. The tires must be removed from the vehicle, worked over then reinstalled but I tell you it is the best way.

On the coach truers are much easier but all wheels must be taken off of the ground while hot or the job is not precise. This is why I selected to do my jobs with the equipement I have. I am not knocking on the coach truers but I feel and can prove my method is more accurate.

Hope I did not bore you with my long winded dissertation but, as the other guys, I too am intent that truing must be done for a good ride."
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks Brett. What that article was saying was that the steel wheel transferred more road shocks from the radial types than the bias belted."Any tires mounted on the steel GMC wheels must be bias belted."
I have radials, and seemingly have a smooth ride (relatively I guess), just wondered what differences our wheels would have from the GMC, as we are on the same chassis.
Old 07-24-2002, 02:54 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

The chassis for the GMC was based on the front wheel drive toronado chassis. Ours is based on the P-30 bread truck chassis.

So the suspension components are completely diffrent.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 04:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan and Brett,
I've had 4 wheel drive vehicles since 1977 but have never run tires larger than 31-10.50-15 and LT 265-75-16. I had one set of 31-10.50-15 tires on a '77 K5 fullsize Blazer that were Summit Wide Climber tires. I think I got 40,000 miles out of them but they had to be trued twice during that time. The rims were 10" wide steel spokes. The guy I took them to would get in my truck right after I got to his place, drive several times around the block to make sure the tires were good and warm then drive straight up on the rack. One of the workers would align the chassis blocks and the truck was raised off the ground as quickly as possible. They would give the tires a few minutes then slowly take one tire off, true it, then go to another tire with the same procedure. After truing, each tire was balanced off the vehicle then put back on the truck. I have only had to true one other set of tires on a 4 wheel drive vehicle and that was a set of B.F. Goodrich LT265-75-16 on a k1500 4X4 shortbed pickup. I let the tires go too long in between balancing and they let me know it. I use to balance every 5,000 miles but some have been able to get away with every 7,500 miles. I wonder how this compares with your MH dual tires?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 07:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
8R19.5 Kelly safari CSR load range F $160 each mounted and balanced on coach.
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 06:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Greene
Motor Home Tires

Having monitored the GMCMotorHome discussion list for 3-4 months I can tell you that a lot of GMC owners are running radial tires. Some have the nice Alcoa 19" wheels and some don't. The big discussion and argument on the list was over Cinnabar's strong recommendation to use radials with steel sidewalls instead of rayon or nylon cord sidewalls. Some owners follow that recommendation and some have better results with the softer sidewall tires.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
good info guys. I thought the GMC was on a p-30 chassis but with toronado
drive components. Shows what I know.
Old 08-06-2002, 03:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Goodyear G670 RV Tire Update

Goodyear G670 RV Tire Update

Well my wife and I just did a tour around Florida. We drove on the freeway, small roads, in the rain and in the heat. I must say I am very happy with the way these tires handled. Fine stability at all times, as well as very quiet. The only issue I could see is that because the outside diameter is slightly smaller than the original 8R19.5 tires, the speedometer reads 4 MPH faster than my actual speed (at 65 MPH). This is easy enough to accommodate, though my wife is suspicious about my calculations and thinks it is an excuse to drive too fast. Ha Ha.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 35' Land Yacht XL w/slide
Vermilion , Ohio
So Im looking at the G670 RV vs the toyo
The toyo's have a 16 ply and are at 4800lbs each
vs the goodyear at 14ply at 4500 lbs

by me the yoyo are 275.00 each
and the goodyears are 379.00 each
Any help ?
myfirstrv is offline   Reply With Quote