Old 07-07-2002, 09:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
GMC Coop - Orlando, FL

Has anyone heard positive or negative things about this group?

http://www.gmccoop.com/airstream.htm

Thanks in advance.

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:14 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
I have been a "Member" for a couple of months. He is passionate regarding the GMC Motorhomes and seems to be expanding into Airstream stuff. I follwed his painting of a Argosy and a re-coat on a 345. I have seen his paint work in person and it is beautiful. I have also traded a few emails and he seems very knowlegeable. Sounds to good to be true, huh Fred? The catch... there is always a catch. His work is so in demand that he has a backlog of 1 or more months as well as he will do the work ONLY if it can be done the "Right" way. This means many hours of labor, therby meaning is prices are not cheap. But WOW what he does is tremendous!! I have a guesstimate on the repaint of the Barrel Basher and without seeing the coach it was in the mid $7000.00 range. Based on the research I have done this is the norm for a fantastic repaint. He welcomes visitors/free help and I am considering seeing if I can work for Paint? Who knows?

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 09:47 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Hopefully some day I will be able to make my Argosy look this good!

Picture is off the www.gmccoop.com daily pose page.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wash_1.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	331  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 07-16-2002, 08:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I had emailed the owner there a while back about a technical question, and he was quick to respond, very friendly, etc. On the basis of that alone I can say he seems customer oriented, and from seeing his web pages he is also quite creative. Wish he was closer to Atlanta.
The RV places here are always backed up with newer 40' Monacos and such. I do quitea bit myself, but it would be nice to find a friendly shop that appreciates the older motorhomes.
My only spot is Planet RV, where the main tech knows Airstreams, but I have to catch them in the "off"season, or they are slammed full.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:36 PM   #5
CBBOB

1976 31' Sovereign
1992 30' Airstream 30
El Dorado Hills , California
$7000.00 sounded pretty good. 356 Porsches (my other foolishness) run $8-10k, and they are a lot smaller.
Does anybody have recommendations for the West Coast?
Thanks
Old 07-17-2002, 07:33 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
On the west coast I would reccomend Andy at inland RV. In a prior post here on this very site he discussed painting an airstream, I do not remember the costs, I believe it was in the same ballpark. He is in th LA region. He even has a picture on his site of a painted one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 07-26-2002, 06:43 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Atlanta , Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Greene
Co-op Motor Works

I also know Jim Bounds and have visited his shop. He's a good guy and does outstanding work but as was mentioned, he doesn't work cheap.

I had an opportunity to buy the Argosy motor home he repainted before any work was done on it other than new tires and a tune up. It was a' 74 model and had 4,600 miles (no typo) and had been stored in a hanger in Ormond Beach. The coach needed a lot of work as the prior owner had taken a lot of it apart. Supposedly the parts were all there. Jim Bounds estimate to put everything right including one of his famous paint jobs was $27,000. I decided to pass. As a result of visiting Co-Op Motor Works I got real interested in GMC motor homes and very strongly considered buying one and looked for and at them for 3-4 months. I decided against it because of the constant and expensive maintenance and repairs they seem to require plus the ones I drove had really sloppy steering, flaky brakes and wandered all over the road.