Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
1975 26' Argosy 26
Placerville , California
Gear Vendors install

Hi
I bot a used gear vendors overdrive that came out of a wrecked MH. Now to install. The mechanical part is straight forward but I need to know if I can just have an on-off switch that shifts in and out of OD.
I don't need the automatic shift because the only use I have for overdrive is in third gear on the freeway for lower rpm at speed. Hooking up it up for auto operation is useless as far as I am concerned since splitting gears is not necessary for my Argosy 26.
Any advice or comments?
al
alhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I have a US Gear unit under drive that I recently had to add an addition shift switch as the main relay was pooched and the new relay wouldn't talk to the OEM shift indicator. The shift switch that I used was an on/off/on switch, like the one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McGill-3193-...-/380940281703

The middle off position is neutral, so no power to shifter, up is high range and bottom is low range.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I would still recommend the controller. In its normal mode it simply automatically selects when to go into OD, both on the change up from 3rd but also when to change out. I would say the majority of the time I am driving the OD is engaged. Using the supplied electronics also means you have a on/off switch down on the floor next to your headlight dimmer. This is useful as the straight cut gears 'grab' and under load, slow the disengagement of the OD, the foot switch lets you easily kick the the controller off and so drop out of OD, specially on inclines.

In normal mode there is no gear splitting, and the GV just acts as a 1.27 ratio top gear. If you got the controller and the foot switch I would use it.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
Have you noticed any change in milage? I'd be very interested in that setup. But not for 2 mpg . That s a lot of expense for not to much gain.
Was the od unit bolted to the trans? Or was it a separate unit. My concern, with a trans mounted unit is weight. You still got that drum brake setup hanging off there. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by davejay View Post
Hey,
Have you noticed any change in milage? I'd be very interested in that setup. But not for 2 mpg . That s a lot of expense for not to much gain.
Was the od unit bolted to the trans? Or was it a separate unit. My concern, with a trans mounted unit is weight. You still got that drum brake setup hanging off there. DJ
The older/shorter motorhome don't have a drive train drum brake, they have a cable e-brake to the rear drums, so although the gear vendors replaces the tail housing weight is not a consideration.

In terms of mileage, as you would expect it has about 25% higher ratio, and you get an extra 25% mileage but if you are only getting 8mpg now you will only get 10mpg after the install. I only have the 350 small block so was getting around 11mpg before and get 14-15mp(UK)g now.
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
Fuel savings is only part of the story. You will find much improved drivability in hill country and when pulling a trailer. I kick it off when slowing for exit ramps, etc. You will also be much kinder to your engine at highway speeds. Overdrive is definately worth it.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote