Old 03-13-2003, 09:46 PM   #1
rdm
2 Rivet Member

Question Gear Vendors

I am thinking of adding a gear vendor unit to our Airstream.
Does anyone have experience with this unit if so could you post your thoughts.
Thanks
Ray

Old 03-13-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I've been considering the same thing, but also was considering the U.S. Gear. Did anything make you choose Gear Vendors?

John

Old 03-13-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Me too. I know about Gear Vendors from Ad's and Camping World display, called and got the detail info and have read the material. I know nothing abou US Gear. Where do I get info?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
US Gear.com is their web address. Both vendors claim their unit is the best, I haven't met anyone with either for some real world thoughts.

John
Old 03-14-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
What do the cost and how long would it take to recoupe that cost?
I been doing a little pole and almost everybody with a 454 gets about the same MPG between the TH400 and the 4L80 (OD) About 1mpg better.
Hmmmm I'm in a situation where maybe I could score one of these and do a review. I plan on whoring some parts and accessories for the Burb once I find one. I could add this to my list and give you a report if I pull it off.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 09:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I see more than mpg benefit from an overdrive. Engine rpm is reduced, and anything I can do to keep the huge reciprocating mass at a lower rpm has to help. These are so large they are externally balanced. You also reduce the number of revolutions an engine turns to go a given distance while in OD. Again longer engine life. I paid a lot to build mine right, would like to keep it running for a long time. I figure if I can save on fuel and extend the life of the engine it comes closer to paying for itself. Sort of the gas/diesel debate.

John
Old 03-14-2003, 09:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by 74Argosy24MH
I see more than mpg benefit from an overdrive. Engine rpm is reduced, and anything I can do to keep the huge reciprocating mass at a lower rpm has to help. These are so large they are externally balanced. You also reduce the number of revolutions an engine turns to go a given distance while in OD. Again longer engine life. I paid a lot to build mine right, would like to keep it running for a long time. I figure if I can save on fuel and extend the life of the engine it comes closer to paying for itself. Sort of the gas/diesel debate.

John
That's a good point also. Mine will be in a Burb and serve as my Daily driver on a 44 mile round trip.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:12 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If you're talking abour rear gears and GM, I feel in that regard, GM is the only place to get them from. In the car forums, some folks have said that although GM does not make their own, they farm it out and take the cream of the crop.

Some may not agree, but I have heard few complaints, if any though, with people that bought new rear gear sets from GM through any dealer or dealer website that can get you the best price.

Additionally, I have found that those that do gear changes have also changed from the GM/ Auburn limited slip to the Eaton 400lb rebuildable unit while back there.

Here in Illinois, I use Z Frank Chevrolet. Frank is the main guy there and his prices are more times than not, less than what I can get around most places and he's a straight shootin guy. Also, Dal, at VanDeere Buick in Ohio is a great resource for GM parts as well.

As for the Eaton and associated components, anyplace you can find the best deal, as long as it's new should not be a problem. I can post info on that stuff to if there is interest.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #9
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
As it so happened, the local transmission guy stopped by today to look at one of the hot rods at mercurycharlie's place across the street.
I ask him what his thoughts were on installing a OD transmission in the Airstream. He said no way, don't do it, those transmissions are too weak. Get a gear vendor OD/UD. He said that they are awesome. You can get them with a remote switch installed at your steering column. When you flip the switch at 3300 rpm, you will drop down to like 2600. They mount to the rear of the transmission, which means the driveshaft needs to be shortened.
Interesting stuff.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
He didn't happen to have an opinion about US Gear vs. Gear Vendors did he? I would still like to know if there is a significant difference.

John
Old 03-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to John Brimer
I put a Gear Vendor overdrive in a one ton crew cab dual wheel Chevy truck behind a Turbo 400 trans and a Cummins diesel. I pulled loads averaging 24,000 pounds. Kept the unit for 100,000 miles and sold whole rig. Subsequent owner pulled a larger load and had to buy a rebuilt Gear Vendor after another 40,000 miles. The third owner put another rebuilt Gear Vendor and pulls his boat. It will last for ever with that load!.

Unit was professionally installed (there are dealers nationwide). Unit worked great for me. I needed the additional gear to allow the Cummins to operate in RPM range. If I had a gas motor home that I was going to keep for 100,000 miles or more, I would put a Gear Vendor in immediately.

Another benefit of less RPM would be less cab noise. Good Luck.