Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2002, 09:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Lightbulb future airstream motorhome

Do you think they will bring back the "classic" airstream motorhome again? Maybe with the newer modern interior (like the ccd trailer) does anyone know if airstream has any plans for this? please advise.. thanks
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

"Classic" Airstream motorhome

I have been told that there were two drawbacks to producing the "Classic" Airstream motorhome. Both had to do with competition from the fiberglass boxes. First the aluminum monocoque body was expensive to produce and therefore not price competitive. Second, believe it or not, was overhead storage. The shape required minimal space overhead which was an often heard customer complaint by Airstream dealers.

I really doubt that Airstream will re-introduce the "Classic"; if there is enough demand they might license the design and nameplate to a third party manufacturer such as Indian motorcycle and Stutz Blackhawk automobile.

In the meantime our best hope is to find an existing "Classic" and throw tons of time and materials at it to try and bring it back to original condition.

Dick
dienst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 11:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up kewl Idea

Bette,
I have to agree that:
If anything, that would be the step in the right direction. Airstream just recently got a new President this past August, who's stated policy is an open-minded approach to inputs from A/S owners. I'd say it's worth writing to him and, making him aware of our future requirements.
One thing I plan to suggest to him is this: Take an A/S unit out for several weeks with your family and, "live" in it. I betcha just that alone will generate more improvements in production QC and, an improvement to creature comfort. I came away from there this past summer with the feeling that, for the most part, the people working there are not in sync with the product that they're working on.
Not to get on a "soapbox" here but, I feel strongly that the factory should make several units available to the workers there to take out on vacation with the notion that, they follow up their camping experiences with workable suggestion on what needs to be improved. If you know what I mean?
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is a new class C that has been developed with an interior like the newer CCD and international. It is still a fiberglass body, but they made it very smooth and really rounded all of the corners. When the Airstreamphotos.com site comes back up there are pictures of it out there. Airstream follows customer demand. People want to be able to take it all with them so basements and interior storage are big issues for many folks. I personally feel that I have enough storage in my MH. I have yet to fill up all of the storage even when I have taken it on 10 day trips.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
In spite of the idea that a new classic couldn't compete with a fiberglass box motorhome, someone has to consider that not only are our Airstreams still quite popular 20+ years after their production, but also so is the GMC which shares one concept - its more radical design ( rounded, streamlined).
Also the Bluebird motorhomes which have been around a long time have gotten very pricey but still are sought after, because of their quality and the difference in their "look" and style.
My point is that if Airstream builds it, and the quality is there, and it "looks" like it should I believe it could be a winner again.
Meanwhile it is fun to own a classic which truly lives up to its name.
The market today for RV's is more vibrant than it was 8-10 yrs ago as well.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I haven't torn a trailer apart to the extent I have my motorhome, but can't believe there is a lot of difference in construction. It seems the tooling should be the same for the ribs, etc. The jig for the floor support would be different, the front end would be different. OTOH there may be roll over standards in effect in 2002 that didn't exist 20 years ago that would necessitate a much stronger body.

I understand the point about the expense of assembly. Riveting is very labor intensive, the holes have to be punched and those small punches have a tendency to break often. Much easier to lay up huge sheets of fiberglass.

Third party- GMC motorhomes have about the same ardent following as Airstream. An outfit named Wheat Motor Company was formed several years ago to resume production of this. They bought all the tooling but the dash which was destroyed. They ran into engineering ($) problems. Last update to their site I see is a pilot that was supposed to have been run in September, 2000.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
WBCCI#-9025 AIR#-6091

2009 27' FB International
Stevenson Ranch , California
Post Future Classic Airstream...

I emailed Airstream asking if they had any plans for a new Classic Alluminum Motorhome and this was the reply I got:
"We are working on a new motorhome. We hope to perhaps have the prototype
built in about 9 months or so and go into production shortly thereafter.
Please feel free to check back with me in late summer or early fall for
further update.

Sincerely,

Vicki Lazier
Sales Distribution Manager
vlazier@airstream.com
937/596-6111, ext. 7462"

So, we will wait and see. Exciting though...
John
airstreamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Craftsman

I thought that ,that was the whole idea behind the new plant they are building. To bring back a new version of the Classic motorhome.????????
Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
While at the factory in September '04 I was told the Classic Motorhome is in the design stage with a partnership from BMW. Cost was expected to be well over $200k. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We were in Jackson Center over New Years and told that the new plant was to build classics like ours.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingspider
While at the factory in September '04 I was told the Classic Motorhome is in the design stage with a partnership from BMW. Cost was expected to be well over $200k. Joe
If BMW is involved then it will be a pusher and will probably get a diesel option. BWM has been involved in motor homes in the past inthe US. They had a VERY unique unit out that had a tilt up roof and was a pusher. It was VERY nice but a big price tag. It didn't sell well here as a result. I see this as BMW atmepting to again get some market place. Partnership with Airstream and a little more conventional unit with BMW power plant sounds like a good combination.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #12
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
I was at a RV show last month and the Airstream dealer said it was going to be a go in 2006. I can't wait!
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote