Old 02-15-2003, 07:52 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Talking furnace problems

Had the same problem on 31' international..changed the switch, board,thermostat and it worked fine..Then at night would't work again.. cold air.. notice the fan was slower with the lights on.. I'm on hard 110v. I have a new gel deep cycle battery.. On a whim I put a charger on the battery.. worked like a charm.. Put in a new converter and my problems are over.. Upgrade your converter and most if not all of your problems will go away.

Old 02-15-2003, 09:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Alansd,

I took another look at the color of the flame and there is some yellow. Which way do you turn that screw? Clockwise more air counter clockwise less air.
Early I was asked if I was going Mystic Springs II, Don't think so but you never know it all might come together.

As always you guys give great advise thanks,

Paul...

Old 02-17-2003, 01:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Furnace repairs

I had my NT30 rebuilt Feb. 2002 with a new motor, mud daubbers cleaned out of the combustion chamber, new circuit board and bench tested. I had pulled the unit out and taken it to the dealer. During the last year I noticed that while it always fired up after the first or second time, it would not refire after it had run for a period of time. No difference was noted between battery power or running plugged up to shorepower. I pulled the front cover off after taking out the lower tambour and aluminum trim. I turned the thermostat on, got my face down where I could see the combustion window and heard the fan turn on. Within 20 seconds the furnace fired up and a nice blue flame was evident. It cycled on and off without problems although the cabinet area was getting rather hot. I pulled the unit over to the RV dealer and he found that the thermo switch on the right side was not letting the unit fire up again because the inside was getting too hot with the cover on. Consequently, it overheated the new board he had put in on the rebuild. He replaced the thermo switch and a new board then blew out the furnace ductwork. He feels that there is a slight restriction toward the back area near the bathroom but could not find it. The furnace has 2 openings on the right side facing the front of the trailer. One had a plate on it which he removed so that there is more air moving toward the front of the trailer. All belly hoses were checked for kinks and found not to be restrictive. The unit seems to be working fine now but I will be removing the panel behind the commode to get a better look at the ductwork for a possible restriction.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
turn the screw in tighter to increase the air flow. Watch the flame color as you do it. It should be as blue and even as you can get it. Mine is now all the way in, as i said, and that concerns me a bit, but since we don't camp as much in the colder weather, the heater has been effective when used.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

So can you do this adjustment when the furnace is running or is that not a good idea.
Paul..
Old 02-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes - furnace running so you can watch the flame. No problem, just a bit warm around the base. I did it in the campground one afternoon, had the manual out and the long driver to get in there. It helped my heat at night when it seemed like it was running a bit too long. I went outside and looked at the flame from there also as it seemed to be easier to see what was going on.
there is some more info at this link

http://www.marksrv.com/furnace_trouble_shooting.htm
Old 02-19-2003, 04:31 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the info and the web sitet link I wll look indepth at that later tonight
Thanks

Paul......