Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2002, 07:08 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
Furnace

I have a 1984 Airstream 345 Motorhome. Currently I'm looking at it covered with snow and half cozy. What I mean by that is that only one half of the heat works. There is a thermostat in the bedroom which turns on the bath and the bedroom. Luckily that one works. The one that powers the kitchen/living room clicks, but nothing happens. It worked last week and I got it to go on once yesterday, but it won't do a thing today. I looked through my manual and could not figure out a thing. Any ideas out there?
kooblekidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:17 AM   #2
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
We have a l987 Airstream 345, and ocassionally, when we want to run both furnaces at the same time, the bedroom furnace does not always (100% of time come on, If we only turn on the Bedroom without the galley furnace, we always get heat. We were concerned about this. We visited the factory this month, and they took a look at it. They concluded that we needed to replace the gas regulator. You might consider this. It is significant that the bedroom furnace fan etc., runs when we push the thermostat up, but doesn;t always ignite and put out heat. When we turn off the galley furnace, then the bedroom furnace always works OK
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Funny that you post this. I assume we are all talking about the Duo-Therm units that came standard on the MH's.

My galley furnace worked once on the initial night and then neither worked all weekend. We did use a space heater to keep the chill out of the air. It never got below 40 degrees so freezing wasn't an issue. I have not had them serviced since we bought it (2001). It is on my list to have them professionally overhauled. They do pump out tons of heat WHEN THEY WORK. I also want to replace the old thermostats with digital ones ($20 each) mentioned on another thread.

The theories at first were slow blower, lack of proper voltage, and no gas. I have ruled them out. I think it's the electronic ignition is just old and needs replacing.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 05:09 PM   #4
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Fred, we have not done anything since we were at the factory because we can use either one or the other without any problem We only have a problem when we try to run BOTH at the same time. That is why the Factory people thought we should consider replacing the regulator. Your problem is that they are not working = that is you do not get fan, air movement, etc and your igniters are obviously not working. Your problem is probably different from what we are experiencing because yours are simply not working. On Big Girl, our previous MH, we had only one Furnace, and we had to replace the gas valve on it to get it straightened out. I am goiing to look into the cost of replacing the regulator, and replace it to see if that is the reason only one or the other of the furnaces will ignite. Both mechanisms are working fine - it is just ignition that doesn't occur when both are turned on by pushing up the thermostats.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote