Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Fuel leak in the gas filler hose

Hello, I have just purchased a 1994 Airstream Clasic that is on a 1993 chevy chassis. It was (is?) still in rough shape mechanicly but I am gaining on it. It is the one that is posted in Freds Airstream file under 1993 AS classic archived exibit. It came from San Jose CA. I met the guy in Pheinix AZ and the story starts. ( QUESTION) When I fill up wth gas there is a leak in the fill pipe that drips onto the ground. I have traced it to the rubber hose that connects the fill inlet to the tank. It is up, abouve the black tank, dillons said it would cost about 800 smackers to fix it, I kind of thought they just wern't into fixing it. Where can I get a replacement hose and will I have to drop the black tank to repair it? My wife and I had planed to stay in it while in Mesa AZ but the classic was in (Dillons) Airsteam shop for eight days with all kinds of problems that I won't go into right now. I guess I'm glad the guy I bought it from went back to San Jose with in two hours of getting my check (bank cheque). This is going to be a chalange to start out but when I get done with making the repairs it will be a true masterpiece, My email add: is mrgump@worldnet.att.net. only if you want to contact me direct. Thanks, Tom
Tom & Janet Salhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Fill pipe gas leak

I have a 1994 Airstream Classic 360 on a 1993 Chevy chasiss. I found a leak in the filler neck hose that connects the fill inlet to the tank, right above the black tank. Where can I get a replcement hose and does any body have an idea for replacing it with out droping the black tank Any imput will be great. mrgump@worldnet.att.net or on this cite. Thanks, Tom -aka- mrgump.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can get the filler hose from a rubber specialty store, or auto parts store.
If you are lucky, you can get someone with small hands and a lot of manual dexterity to replace the hose. There should be a hose clamp on either end of the hose, you probably won't be able to get a screwdriver on them, but they should have a hex for a wrench or ratchet. Size is generally 5/16" on the hex.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Check this out, I replaced mine, not a fun task, but way cheaper than that!

1977 20 Argosy Class A

$20 a foot for the hose if yours is like mine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	35129  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

fuel filler hose

Thanks for the reply on the filler hose. I checked with Airstream, refered to a dealer, refered to a chevy dealer,refered to napa, I have been trying to go buy vin #, A/S and chevy. I guess I will have to start training my grandson in on this situation, skiny arms, lots of dexterity in the fingers ect. take it of and get the proper fit at a hose shop? (lots of these out there) and getterdone. Thanks, Tom. ps: When I start to feel more proud of my purchase and have made some headway on this, project (MY) classic 360 MH I will get more open to talk about it. I am very glad that this guy I bought it from left to go back to California ASAP after he got the check. It was a hectic 10 days in Mesa AZ with the AS in the shop for eight of those days. Tom
Old 04-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

filler hose

Hello, I had to drop my fuel tank to check all the hoses and connections
and found it was very easy to drop the tank. Make sure its almost empty
and have a jack of some sort under it so you can control it when it starts
down. I think you could drop it 6" with out disconnecting anything on
the tank. That would give you lots of room. The hose can be bought
at most after market stores (auto). Make sure it is fuel approved hose!
I droped the tank and checked all things out and then installed an electric
fuel pump and dash switch so I can use as needed. 1985 325 W/454 Chevy.

Good luck (signed) Mixednuts