Old 01-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
Unhappy frozen pipes

Hi All,
Eric, Tina and Kierstin here in our 345 in single digit temps in the GA mountains. I need your help again. We left a trickle last night and as a result have cold water. We have draining from the sink. We do not have running water or flushing toilet in bathroom and have only cold water in the shower. Also, shower is not draining, even after adding stove heated water, and despite the fact that our hot water heater goes on we have no hot water from the taps. I have a heat gun and as soon as I get a chance this afternoon I can use that to do some thawing, but I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions?
Eric

Old 01-20-2003, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
[We do not have running water or flushing toilet in bathroom]

Check for a shut off valve behind the toilet.

[and as soon as I get a chance this afternoon I can use that to do some thawing, but I'm not sure where to start, any suggestions?]

Look in the rear corner cabinet. You can see the PVC pipes that run around the outsides that feed the shower and kitchen. The two water lines run behind the cabinets and between the bed and spare tire. I bought some pipe insulation and pushed it has far back as I could.

[and despite the fact that our hot water heater goes on we have no hot water from the taps]
[and have only cold water in the shower]

Check to see if there is a hot water heater bypass kit installed. Many people install them and drain the water heater for the winter.

ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
if the bypass valve is turned so no water will get into the hot water heater, be careful as keeping the heater on will damage it.
Does the water run when turned to hot, but come out cold? If not
the bypass is the likely culprit. If you look at the valves on the water lines, you should be able to tell if the water is on or off to the heater tank. Mine has a broken head on the valve, so its harder to tell, but you can look at the way the valves line up.
As for the shower not draining, what about the bathroom sink? Also is there water coming out when you open up the grey tank drain? If its frozen in the grey tank that will tell you the problem, if not the drain may merely be clogged, and could be cleard with a hanger or stiff wire, carefully. Good luck- what part of N GA are you staying in?
Old 01-20-2003, 08:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Roseland , Florida
Thanks for the suggestions, by the time I was able to spend time on the problem the warmth of the sun, (27 deg!), solved the problem for me. I had to thaw out the black and grey tanks, but I did that with a space heater and running hot water down the grey tank and letting it mingle with the black. It worked and we're back on track. We are working in a campground called Enota in a town called Hiawassee. Their website is www.enota.com and they are always looking for workampers/volunteers. If you wanted to come for a few days and were willing to do some labor you could likely get free camping/meals.
We currently have about 4" of snow and are located just down the hill from Brasstown Bald, so the elevation keeps us cold. It has gone down as low as 5 degrees since we've been here and we have been very comfortable inside, while my neighbors in the traditional breadbox trailers have been freezing. I found an Airstream only park about 5 miles from here, with a 345 motohome in residence and a ton of older trailers being stored.
We are going to so. florida from here in about 6 weeks, so I'll be posting to ask for advice about the awning, which is supposed to have some problems.
Stay warm!
Eric
Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great news. i am familiarwith hiawassee, although haven't stayed at that Campground. The Airstream only park is Top of georgia, and my experience there with my kids and our small dog was not a good one.
We love the park at Unicoi nea rHelen also, and two other state parks- Amicalola Falls, and Red Top Mountain. The one at Red Top is fairly close to Atlanta, and not very secluded, and Amicalola is a beautiful spot with a terrific waterfall right nearthe camping area, also a lodge with restaurant within walking distance.
Hope your stay continues to be a good one.