Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Question front end bottoms out!!?

I could stand to lose a few pounds but I don't think I'm the total cause of my front end bottoming out. Here in Alaska it is rare to find a really smooth road without frost heaves, dips and the like, and usually there is no warning before I'm upon one. The thing that bothers me is that the front end will really dip, to the point of bottoming out when I hit a big dip. The bags are inflated to 50 psi, the tires are near new Michelins and inflated to 70 psi. Is there any reasonable thing I can do, besides slow down and be careful? Can I do some front end beefing up without sacrificing ride quality? I haven't been on the forums much this summer and I hope my question isn't redundant. Thanks for a great forum.
Cheers, Curtis
Curtis-79MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Shocks.

Shocks job is to resist sudden movement of the axle. It's a heavy vehicle and it needs strong shocks. With the road conditions your dealing with you may want to run a little extra air to increase ride hight to give the suspension more travel and replace the shocks. If it improves but is still not enough you may want to add a second set of shocks to the front. Just be very carefull as to how you mount added shocks. You want to do it at a strong point on the suspension and you also want to because not to overwhelm the suspension. Too much shock can break things but so can bottoming out.

Another thing you might look into is in the 4x4 world they sometimes run a extended bump stop that acts like a spring to some extent and does crush down a lot.
http://www.energysuspension.com/prod3.html
About half way down that page is some long bump stops with holes in them. those are designed for trucks that tak hard landings. The stop will crush down and abosorb the impact better then the stubby bump stops. You may be able to mount a smaller set of those to help ease the bottom out.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Additional Air in the bags will help, but if you do that it will change the front end alignment geometry. Not an issue as long as you decide to run X Lbs of air and have the front end realigned to go with the additional air.

I would start with new shocks before going the more air route.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
The front bags call fo 55 PSI.

That won't make a great difference, but it will help.

The remainder of the problem, should be the shocks. Make sure the correct shocks are installed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 09:26 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Bilstein

I believe that's where it's at. I just put a new set of these (HD) in my Suburban, and it's a HUGE difference. The truck feels so controlled now, it's fantastic. They cost a bit more than Gabriels or Monroes form a chain parts store, but they are well worth it.
I got mine from www.shox.com
Good luck.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Bilstein

Quote:
Originally posted by uwe
I believe that's where it's at. I just put a new set of these (HD) in my Suburban, and it's a HUGE difference. The truck feels so controlled now, it's fantastic. They cost a bit more than Gabriels or Monroes form a chain parts store, but they are well worth it.
I got mine from www.shox.com
Good luck.

Bilsteins ar great. My R20 Suburban was wallowing around pretty good. Real happy with the way it rides and handles with the Bilsteins. Auto Zone does offer them but most of the time they have to order them in (2-3 days).
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 02:57 PM   #7
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Curtis,
does that rig even have shocks?
Listen to the pros and but some bilsteins on there.
This is what you get for letting strangers check out your Airstream:
Remember when we looked at your rear airbags and noticed that someone removed all the leveling valves? So regardless of your weight you are probably always runnig at close to 100 psi on your bags. You may want to consider reducing the max psi output at the pressure switch.
Do you recognize Polar Bear in this picture?
I used him for my current avatar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enterprise-lizzy-marsbig.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	2797  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 03:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

co-incidence or what

By sheer coincidence I was under our MH two weeks ago inspecting the belts and hoses (had to adjust the alternator belt) and noticed that I had broken the RF shock. Went to local supplier to run the #'s that were on the MH for repalcement...they were the wrong size about 2" compressed and 3" extended. I'd check the shock size and go with the Bilstien's if you can afford it...it never hurts to slow down abit and enjoy the scenery. Afterall you're not driving a trail buggy on those bumpy roads.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2003, 05:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Awesome responses.

Well, I guess I'll buy some Bilsteins! And I'll change the steering dampener while I'm at it. Zamboni, slowing down to see the scenery is a cool thing, but even while traveling 50-55 on seemingly flat pavement you can be met by a surprise frost heave that will float your teeth, or toss your toupee....Peter thanks for putting PB in orbit! No wonder I've been feeling so spaced-out lately!! Anyway, there ain't a Bilstein in the state so I'm heading to shox.com. Thanks everyone!
Curtis
Old 08-27-2003, 10:31 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
You might want to contact Bilstein directly. Shox.com don't have RV shocks.
Or do a search on the web for Bilstein. The make steering dampners as well.
Good luck.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Found it for you. I believe your motorhome is on a Chevrolet P30 chassis, no?
Try this:
http://www.ajusa.com/cgi-bin/store/start

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
there is the guy on EBAY who sells very slightly used Bilstein take-offs. I and others here have bought sets and been very satisfied with the results. My front shocks were under 50 bucks a pair.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:47 PM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Just be sure that you get the correct shock for the application. Just because they fit the mounts does not mean that they are the right ones for the coach.
Bilstein is one of the few companies that make a special attempt to produce purpose built shocks, for each application. Very few part numbers cross over to different vehicles.
I would not at all worry about slightly used Bilsteins, since I have this brand in 2 cars that have over 200k miles on the original Bilstein shocks, and they are still functioning perfectly well.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:08 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Bilsteins!

Well, I hopped on the internet and ordered Bilsteins through shox.com.
Ewe, thanks for the web site suggestion. I had ordered the shox prior to your post, but I checked with "your folks" about the part numbers and thankfully it is the same part number that shox.com is sending me. I also bought a steering dampener ($74) and the shocks cost me ($71/shock).
I might add that the website you suggested offers FREE shipping, but not to Alaska. Anyway, in my haste I may not have gotten the best deal, but the shocks are new and will be here before our big road trip to Mt. McKinley; which is a good thing because that road up there can surprise you. Thanks again everyone, this forum is great.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure of the set up under a MH but had the same problem on a Chev Blazer I was using for heavy off road use. New orignal type shocks were no help and I found out the springs had gone soft ( front end was down about 2 in from specs.
The fix was having the springs rearched, added an extra leaf and Blistine shocks. No more problems.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Front end help

After almost thirty years and 120K miles, the front springs on my '74 Argosy 24 were about shot. They were quite rusty, and I had a really saggy front end that was only partially cured by higher airbag pressures.

My solution was new front springs:
http://www.supersteersuperstop.com/C...ilsprings.html

You can buy different strengths depending on the front end weight of you motorhome. They're not cheap, but if you're refreshing everything else in the front end as I did, it's a logical step. Now the front end sits up where it should, and the ride (with Bilsteins) is superb.

Bob McKeown
Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #17

front end bottoming out

Curtis, I have had same trouble plus coach rolling(side ways) too much on roadways that not to level, bobbing and weaving. There is a company out in Oregon called IPD that sells bilstein shocks and also a torsion bar that is alot heavier than G. M. original that will stop that rock and roll. It is fairly easy to put on.
Marshall Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

You can get Bilsteins for $150 a pair from Dave the shock Dude on the web. I put on the Billsteins and stronger springs ($180 per pair) from Coil Spring Specialties and it made a huge difference in the ride. No more bottoming out.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

, Alaska
Bilsteins to the rescue!!

Thanks for all your help and advice. I installed front and rear Bilsteins and a Bilstein steering dampner....what a difference they make! The shocks I pulled off were in terrible condition as was the dampner. Now, I don't bottom out and the MH is more stable and doesn't do that side to side dance it once did. Now I wonder if I should replace the rear air bag leveling apparatus (could the ride get EVEN better?) that was removed by the prior owner... but that is the topic of another ongoing thread. Cheers everyone, you're awesome, Curtis