Old 08-28-2003, 10:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure of the set up under a MH but had the same problem on a Chev Blazer I was using for heavy off road use. New orignal type shocks were no help and I found out the springs had gone soft ( front end was down about 2 in from specs.
The fix was having the springs rearched, added an extra leaf and Blistine shocks. No more problems.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 08:20 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Front end help

After almost thirty years and 120K miles, the front springs on my '74 Argosy 24 were about shot. They were quite rusty, and I had a really saggy front end that was only partially cured by higher airbag pressures.

My solution was new front springs:

You can buy different strengths depending on the front end weight of you motorhome. They're not cheap, but if you're refreshing everything else in the front end as I did, it's a logical step. Now the front end sits up where it should, and the ride (with Bilsteins) is superb.

Bob McKeown

mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:10 AM   #17
front end bottoming out

Curtis, I have had same trouble plus coach rolling(side ways) too much on roadways that not to level, bobbing and weaving. There is a company out in Oregon called IPD that sells bilstein shocks and also a torsion bar that is alot heavier than G. M. original that will stop that rock and roll. It is fairly easy to put on.
Marshall Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:14 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member
You can get Bilsteins for $150 a pair from Dave the shock Dude on the web. I put on the Billsteins and stronger springs ($180 per pair) from Coil Spring Specialties and it made a huge difference in the ride. No more bottoming out.
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
, Alaska
Bilsteins to the rescue!!

Thanks for all your help and advice. I installed front and rear Bilsteins and a Bilstein steering dampner....what a difference they make! The shocks I pulled off were in terrible condition as was the dampner. Now, I don't bottom out and the MH is more stable and doesn't do that side to side dance it once did. Now I wonder if I should replace the rear air bag leveling apparatus (could the ride get EVEN better?) that was removed by the prior owner... but that is the topic of another ongoing thread. Cheers everyone, you're awesome, Curtis

Curtis-79MH is offline   Reply With Quote