Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Fender Bender Mender update.

I finally got a check from the guy's insurance company for less than the Airstream dealer estimated the repair to cost!

They are saying that they do not believe the cracks in the windshield, the seperated driver side wiper, and the blown 20a running lights fuses probably coming from a short in the wrecked area is due to the collision. They say that due to the 'age' of the unit, it is mostly from wear and tear. This amount comes to a difference of about $2000. or so. All I know is that it all worked before I got hit, and now it doesn't.

The next step is to take it to the shop and have them take off the skin, expose the wiring and the windshield frame, and call the adjuster to look at it to see if he agrees that this damage did indeed stem from the collision. He will probably stick to his original claim in which case I will write to the insurance commisioner and take it to small claims court.

I haven't driven my baby for two months now, and I want her back!
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:18 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

There is only 1 way to get the insurance adjusters attention, and that is to bring him up before a judge. Trust me, been there, done that, it works.
Dick.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
I can certainly feel your pain!

I would recommend talking to your own agent and possibly filing a claim with your own insurance company.
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
I can certainly feel your pain!

You have several options, all of which will, in the least, cost you some time and aggravation!

First, talk to your own agent and possibly filing a claim with your own insurance company. They should take care of your damages and then go against the at-fault party.

Consider an attorney. This could cut into your eventual settlement.

File a complaint with your state's insurance commissioner. You can usually find the instructions on a web site. Just do a search under "California Insurance Commisioner".

Finally, be a royal pain in the A$$ to the at-fault insurance company. Be prepared to argue your case and present as much documentation as possible to support your case. This worked for me when I was in an accident a few months ago. I was rear-ended. The car was a borderline total. We were able to prove to the claims adjuster the amount of money we had recently invested in the car in upgrades and the going price of similar models (in much poorer condition) and he finally gave in. Funny thing is...the cost of my rental car for almost 30 days while we bickered back and forth was almost as much as the cost to repair the car. He wasn't real happy, remember, he is working to keep his insurance company's cost at a minimum but we did come to an amicable settlement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Debby

P.S. I've been in the insurance business for over 20 years. I'm a licensed agent. Although I'm not on the claims side, I know how these guys operate! Hope I've been of some help.
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

sorry to say

To bad about the problems you're having. I had a similar problem last summer. Insurance wouldn't pay a claim. They claimed that in their opinion damages weren't caused by their client. After several months, several calls and alot of wasted time we weren't any closer to resolving the problem. We contacted our lawyer and his advise was to file a law suit. We didn't want to but it looked like we had no choice. Our lawyer spoke with the insurance company and got no where fast. What finally caused the company to settle was a letter of intent to sue from our lawyer in the amount of $5000. This was for the $2100 in damages, $900 for the grief they put us through and $2000 for court and lawyer fees. 2 days after the insurance company recieved the letter from our lawyer they called us to say they decided to settle the original claim. They cut us a check for $2439. Which cover our loss and fees. Its a shame we had to resort to this but as you stated before the accident everything was fine. We weren't tring to get anything extra out of the insurance co we just wanted it back to the condition it was prior. Good luck.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

When we had shoddy repair work done and the dealer was reluctant to admit it, the insurance company which already paid for the repair looked at the work and agreed it was poorly done. They told me that they would file a vandalism claim so we could get it redone properly somewhere else If the dealer didn't cave in. The dealer made it good but not without pressure from the insurance company.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote