Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 35' Land Yacht Widebody
council grove , Kansas
Factory solar panels on 96 LY-36

Hello.
I just recently bought this LY and the solar display just to the right of the
generator start panel by the microwave does not come on.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Merrill
merrillv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Recommend going up to the panel on a ladder with a multimeter and test if it's putting out volts. If so, check the fuse in your box up front. If good, check solar charge controller.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
Thanks for the info- I'll give that TRY.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Wish my solar panel was in same spot over microwave with other controls. Its next to sofa at end of counter....but it works. Planning to have it upgraded soon. Original solar panel was only 5 watts so its not good for drycamping longer than a few days. Plan to install a new 100watt and maybe add at least one or two more batteries to the coach.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
36 landyacht elctrical problems

Hello mike,
Thanks for the reply.
I just recently bought this MH.
I'm having problems keeping the batteries up.
Bought new ones- large bus batteries- 2 of them/
Last night I stayed in it, and the furnace ran the batteries down in about three hours, even though I was plugged into 110.
I don't think the 110 is charging the batteries, nor is the generator, nor are the solar panels. The only way I can charge them is with a separate battery charger plugged into 110, or by starting the motor and using that alternator
I'm kind of at a loss in figuring out what is wrong. If any other readers have a suggestion, I would be most grateful,
Thanks,
Merrill
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Merrill,
Your power converter is bad or disconnected. Its located behind the panel in front of the passenger seat. Its what controls the solar panel juice to coach batteries and the current flow from a power source when plugged up.

Also, check near the door for a switch that might say "Batt". This is the main disconnect for the coach batteries and might be shut off by accident. That button should always be ON unless you have it in extended storage.

First long trip I took, stayed at a friends house that had an old RV pad with 30amp. Plugged in and everything went haywire....blew up the microwave, TV, and power converter due to low voltage. After replacing those 3 things, bought a portable surge guard 50amp, its like insurance......can not live without it!!

Check for that switch first...if its ON and still no power, the converter is next. I got the converter and surge guard from Camping World but you might find it somewhat cheaper on Amazon or Ebay. Hardest part about changing the converter was access. Had a hard time getting the wood panel out. Also, I upgraded the converter which was a smaller unit with cooling fan vs the original.

Mike
Old 01-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

council grove , Kansas
96 Landyacht

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the reply.
I believe you are correct, that the converter is bad. If I disconnect the
batteries and plug it in to 110, the microwave works, but not the 12V lights . This is the same if I start the generator.
My problem is, I can't find the converter. The book says it's to right of the passenger seat, but there's nothing there but a magazine storage door, which opens at the top.
Any ideas?
Merrill
Old 01-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

There is a carpeted kick plate in front of the passenger seat with screws in 4 corners that has to be removed. Mine also has an AC vent at top and circulation vent at bottom. Its nothing but plywood covered with carpet but was very difficult to remove. The converter and other assorted cables are behind it. I also found the original wire for the cell phone antenna tied up in this space. Might try to reuse this wire for a satellite radio once I find a new exterior antenna.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 36' Land Yacht Bus
Columbus , Ohio
Merrillv

Your solar control panel on your clipper is in the battery compartment area on the wall to the back of the rv. Orig equip is an orange box with some lights showing if it is charging. Mine had lights showing but I didn't trust it so replaced it with an electronic control module. It seems to work well.

The control panel over the micro doesn't show how solar is working other than showing the charge of the coach batteries which get charged from the solar cells. Hope that helps.

Steve
superoma is offline   Reply With Quote