Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Exhaust pipes to exit left but where?

As the work is coming along, I was asked by the exhaust guys what those lines are where they are intending to exit the dual exhaust tips. I said it is the water heater up above them so they said good it's just water, but now I'm wondering if it's the propane lines. Anyone know? I know Peter has his coming out the leftside driver side street side, whatever label it gets. This area that I'm talking about is right in front of the rear wheels. Thanks.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The water lines are all inside. Copper line with a T running up through the floor? Follow it and more T's, it is propane.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Propane it is.

Does it create a potential problem with the exhuast pipes coming close to those propane lines as they exit out the left? I'm talking explosive problems. I know that propane won't explode as gasoline does, and after all, it ignites for water heating and fridge and generator with no probs. How unsafe can it be with the pipes coming out there?
Old 10-18-2003, 06:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How far from the engine will they meet? How close will the exhaust be to the propane line? Will the propane line be in a pinch point?
The exhaust cools quite a bit as it goes through the pipe. I am guessing that it has to be 8 or 10 ft. so heat shouldn't be that much of a problem. I would think about when the exhaust starts to fail. Don't let them install it so that when the pipe rusts through it will rise up and rub or pinch the propane line. A strategically placed hanger or two will prevent that.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 06:51 AM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
An additional option is to fabricate a heat shield over the last 12 inches of the pipe so there is less chance of the hot exaust pipe coming in contact with the propane line.

I agree with John that the exaust gas temp should be low enough to not be a concern, the actual pipe is a different story.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Yes, those are gas lines. Just make sure they don't stack the pipes on top of each other.
Side by side and a few inches of clearance.
It also serves as an incentive to check your lines and drive without the gas on.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Drive w/o the gas on!?

I usually drive such that the gas is always on, so that I can turn on the fridge at a push of a button, or even the hot water heater, which has the optional on switch at the control panel. Also the central heater and the generator can be turned on while driving, since they are propane.

I read somewhere that if one turns the main gas off, it's a bear to bleed the lines and relight things.

The pipes will be horizontal to each other, and a heat shield sounds like a good idea. I wonder how much they'll take me for that. I think they may throw it in if i ask nice. After all, they seem to be really enjoying working on this rig. They act as if it's theirs. They even told me that if I get a property with land to park it, I may never stop tinkering with her. I wonder what they mean?