Old 06-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #1
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Entrance Door

I have read the other posts regarding adjusting the entrance door. Mine needs centered and raised at the latch side. If I loosen all four screws is there enough clearance around the screws to allow some adjustment or will I have to enlarge the holes in the frame of the motorhome to provide more movement of the door for proper alignment. What have others experienced? The door does not appear to be bent. There is plenty of vertical clearance between the hinge fastened to the door and the part of the hinge that is fastened to the frame of the motorhome to allow the door to be raised. It appears one could place small washers on the hinge pin between these two parts for vertical alignment. Thanks for any input, that is my project for tomorrow.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
just went thru the door hing thing. was a pain in the back... i would not play with the door other than replace the hinges, if they are worn, not a lot you can do with them. camper repair center has them in stock about $77 per hinge. tel 205-665-2531. not selling hinges but i messed with mine for several months and finally had to reolaced them. hinges were replaced at jackson center. and they advise you cant adjust them just replace. if you put shims in the hinge the seals will leak. some of the guys have put shins in to lift the door but that is a temporary fix at best. i wouldnt modify any holes that will come back and bite you in the #$$ if you decide to replace the hinges. lol
al

Old 06-20-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
dont know how far you are from jackson center. i think $325 is what it will cost to get airstream to replace. or you can get the hinges from them. lol
al
Old 06-21-2003, 05:44 AM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Entrance Door

I am only 50 miles from Jackson Center so I have an alternative. I will see what happens when I loosen all the screws today and see how much movement there is. If there isn't enough then I agree with you, opening the holes will cause problems down the road when I have to install new hinges. Thanks for the input.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
I am only 50 miles from Jackson Center so I have an alternative. I will see what happens when I loosen all the screws today and see how much movement there is. If there isn't enough then I agree with you, opening the holes will cause problems down the road when I have to install new hinges. Thanks for the input.
Glen,

What did you end up doing about your door hinges? Our 310 has the same sort of problems and I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote