Old 07-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Ennis , Texas
to add to my post, we tow a 2012 Ford Escape 4 wheel drive and all wheels down.

1969fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Engine or Transmission?

If I were in your shoes Id look at the 454 drivetrain of a 96 classic 360. They are on a p30 chassis. I drove one for a guy and was impressed with the performance. Find that combination in a donor vehicle and do a swap. Ideally from a vehicle of similar weight.

Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
I understand your situation completely..... We have a 1985 345, with the 454 chevy.... We blew out gaskets and overheated a lot.... WITHOUT towing....

Our resolution was multi-fold:
1) Switched from 3 speed to 4L80E 4 speed transmission (MUCH quieter too), we run at 2200 rpms at about 65mph now.
2) Aluminium radiator
3) Oil cooler

We haven't had issues with overheating... but now I'm starting to wonder if we can tow.... or if we should leave well enough alone...
Toddnazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Hey,
I had a 345, and towed my 8500 pound deisal excursion to North Dakota. I was not being nice to it on the hills. Had no trouble pulling that weight.
I'd say first off, check your fuel pump. Does it has an aux pump in the rear. Is it working. It'll be buzzing when your running the motor. Next timing. Make sure your timing is correct. May need a tune up. Fuel. How old is your fuel. Throw some octane boast in the tank may fix it. Our fuel is lousy no power . Check your fuel filters the one on the frame too buy the battery box. Carb, is your four barrel opening when you put your foot in it sometimes they stick close. Been there , dumb question.... Do you have your E Brake on?
Clogged exhaust? Rare. If your trans is acting up. It'll be slipping most likely, and getting hot. When this happened, did the trans blow fluid out the back seal? You would have smelled it, it's pretty obvious. Were you pulling a hill? Did it kick down to 2 nod gear? Could be a valve body clogged up. I don't think you got an engine or trans problem.
My guess. Bad fuel, aux fuel pump, carb stuck, Maybe timing, check your brakes. Tag axle brakes sticking? Bad coil possible. DJ
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
One more thing. Check this first. Thermostat. If it's opening, but not all the way, she'll run perfectly fine, until you need power, or push it a little. Then, it ll start overheating, then, loose power, then, start overheating manifolds, then, missing stumbling, and overheating the radiator. That's what I'd check first. Did you loose or is the fan belt loose? DJ
Old 05-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tucson , Arizona
Note: We didn't have as high of temps, but still temp issues. We've added a transmission cooler, and.... had the 4L80e transmission programmed properly.... now we have GREAT temps in BOTH the radiator and engine. The transmission running hot was 'super-heating' the radiator, and not allowing the engine to cool properly.
Toddnazus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:24 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Hey,
That makes perfect sense. That's my problem with the trans being cooled by the radiator. Under normal conditions, it does what it's supposed to do. But I think we are on the upper end in terms of capabilities, when it comes to towing and cooling. I routed my super heavy duty trans cooler to bypass the radiator. I'm not to concerned with the trans running to cool. Well, I'm glad you found the problem. Looks like all got it wrong ,eh? Take care. DJ