Old 12-31-2003, 12:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Please let me know what you find out, as the swept portion of the driver's window leaves a lot to be desired with the stock wiper system
The sweep is adjustable. Go to Cleveland Ignition and click on 'information on parts'. It will bring up a drawing, the arm on the shaft that goes through the body has 3 locations for mounting the pin.

John

Old 12-31-2003, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Thanks for the reply.

Interesting to know of the adjustment for the sweep.

The intermittant switch should not be much of a hassel. I would suspect it would not be difficult to install. The intermittant switch offers a slight delay, that allows both of the arms to momentarily stop in the rest position, then restarts both at the same time for the next cycle, a single sweep.

I know a few years ago you could purchase an intermittant kit from J.C Whitney.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Too much blade (drag) and too wide across the front to run both wipers off the same motor and linkage. It would either have to be very heavy or flex like crazy.

When these were made intermittent was only a different switch and an add on box. You can also get it from Cleveland igniton, I think it was about $25 when I did mine.

John
Old 01-11-2004, 12:41 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Clarification and progress report

The Lumina wiper upgrade is for the wiper arms only. I think the wiper to wiper spacing on the Lumina is closer than on a motorhome, so the motor and linkage probably wouldn't work.

I'm back on track for the upgrade. My reordered wipers from Rock Auto are due here on Monday. I'll take photos and post when done. Any news on when the photo site will be back up?

Bob McKeown
Nashville
Old 03-21-2004, 10:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Lumina wiper conversion completed

My wiper conversion is complete, and I'm very happy with the result. Following is a summary of what I did. I've posted pictures of some details on my photo site.

I bought my wiper arms from Rock Auto (www.rockauto.com). They're Motormite brand, part #42710, and the cost is $18.09 each. As supplied, the arms don't have any washer nozzles. These are GM part #22121436 and gmpartsdirect (www.gmpartsdirect.com) sells them for $9.21 each (nozzle assembly for one arm).

I used a giant tapered reamer and did a lot of Dremeling to get my arms to mount up, but there's a much better way. A 3/4" Unibit (center one in my photo) is apparently a near-perfect taper and makes the hole reaming and tapering process a snap. Be aware that there are probably twenty different styles and sizes of Unibit. I'd recommend that you take one of your wiper arm cones with you to Harbor Freight and buy the Unibit whose taper best matches the cone.

Once you've reamed the hole to the correct size (don't ream too deep!), line a vise with several layers of masking tape and squeeze the cone into the wiper arm to form serrations in the arm. You may want to do some trial fitting first to position the arm properly on the cone. A few washers or a spacer will then take up the extra stud length and let the retaining nuts hold the arms tight.

The wipers are a standard style (Bosch Micro Edge Excel part # 40920) that mounts to a pin on the wiper arm. My '74 Argosy used 20" blades, about 2" longer than original. I think all motorhomes will use this size.

I've tried adjusting my linkage (see John's Cleveland Ignition link), but I think the original setting is probably best. With just one additional "notch" of adjustment, the driver's side wiper goes too far around the corner of the windshield and puts a lot of extra load on the motor.

Total cost was about $100 including shipping the arms and nozzles from two different sources. (You could definitely get by cheaper and do just as nice a job with junkyard parts, but I didn't have time to search for them.) All in all, it's a nice looking upgrade and should be easy to maintain with modern parts sources over the years.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing some parts of this process. I look forward to hearing about them as other folks do this conversion.

Bob McKeown
Nashville
Old 03-21-2004, 11:16 PM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
After pics?

This looks like it could be a great upgrade. Please post the after pics of your installation!

I too have driven too many miles in rain or snow wondering why the passenger side is perfectly clear but the driver's side has a big messy hole in the middle of the sweep.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Is there a fuse for the driver side wiper motor? I just got it back from repairs and it was working well for a few minutes, then it stopped completely. Also the front exhaust fan doesn't turn anymore ...fuse for that too? I hope it's not burned out motors!
Old 03-27-2004, 08:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
should be a fuse that resets it self. mine is located behind the dash. the seat fuse is co located there also.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
seat fuse huh...we don't got no power seats....310 is a bit more shall we say upscale?
While mentioning that- wonder why there are 82 Excella and 82 280 both 28 feet? Or are there?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 07:03 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Fuse reset itself!

Wow, I didn't know they could do that!!! I started the MH this a.m. and while driving I tried the wiper. It worked perfectly. Thanks for the encouragement. BTW, I drove around town all day doing chores mostly and then took her on the fwy for a few to warm her down. That's what Alan does, right?
Old 04-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

OK, another wiper question. The passenger side wiper on my 1976 Argosy MH does not work. I am beginning an electric trouble shoot, but; where does one find a replacement motor? Or is there a better retrofit available?

Idahohanson
Old 04-24-2004, 07:28 AM   #26
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Cleveland Ignition has all parts for the wipers. You are lucky, the lh is nearly impossible to work on without major contortions.

John
Old 04-24-2004, 07:33 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Wiper motor circuit breaker

Hello

OK, where is the circuit breaker for the windshield wiper motors on my 28 ft 1976 Argosy M/H?

The driver's side works, passenger side doesn't.

IdahoHanson
Old 04-24-2004, 01:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mine has two seperate switches for the wipers. I would check the switch for power, to see if it is getting any that is. The fuse should probably be the same one for both wipers. Mine has only one on the block.By the way for those interested- I got my blades from NAPA, in stock item called heavy duty blade. Fit perfectly....13 dollars a pair.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote