Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Door Locks on older MH

Has anyone been able to find a source for replacement door locks for the classic motorhomes. I have a 76 Argosy and I am not having any luck finding one.

I may be able to purchase a lock set that is close and make it work.

Any one have any suggestions.

P.S. The reason for replacing is it really doesn't lock and the door was made to seal tighter by adding MANY layers of gaskets. So the latch itself is bably worn.

Brett
thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I posted this before on another forum, but it could be of value for someone.
I just finished installing a new Schlage Lock (stainless steel, commercial applications) and it worked out real good. I didn't even have to adjust the thickness of the lock. And it was adjustable from 2 3/8 to 2 3/4 (backset) from the edge of the door. I used the 2 3/4 and cleared the screen door frame on the inside.
I will cut an access opening in the screen, so I can lock it from the inside as well.
This is a very secure lock.
Caution: Airstream does not recommend using a regular dead bolt, due to weakening of the door frame.
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2002, 08:49 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Door Locks

Peter,

I would like to take a closer look at your dead bolt setup. I am planning on attending the Mystic Springs rally. Hope I can look at your engineering and installation as I can't figure out where to mount the dead bolt. I had one installed in rapid city on my 77 AS 31 foot TT but it was installed in the wall, not the door. As in most MH if I install in the wall the inside knob would be behind the refer.

So this project will wait unless there are any other suggestions.

Brett
thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I installed a new tumbler for mine. I had gotten a friendly email from an owner who did the same, he used the Bargman L-300 assembly (a 14.00 part) and it installed as an exact replacement for my old one which was cracked inside. The lock functions as new now. While it was apart I greased the parts and tightened everything up. Pete's deadbolt is probably still better security though.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote