Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2003, 07:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

West Valley City , Utah
Door Bell

You were right on it was the button and a new one fixed it
fine. the bell is under the couch on my 31 footer. there is
no compressor for the Air suspension that I can find any
where. It has one valve on the air input at the tank, and
the air then goes to the valve with the arm on it, and after the
valve it splits and goes to each bag. Drivers side measures
32-1/2" to fender above wheel, and passenger measures
31-3/4". When you try and measure air pressur at the tank
I get no reading and the air bags are hard, so they must have
air in them.
Donald B Graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Your air compressor should be in the back on the driver's side in the compartment where your 30 amp plug for shore power is located. If not there someone has removed it, and or bypassed it and the only way to fill them is through the collection tank. If no collection tank then you fill them direct from and external air source.
Hope that helps
Paul
Paul Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

The reason they may seem hard is because the are old. Rubber gets hard after a while or when you put air in the tank how long did you try. You might have to pump for a while to build up pressure or you have a leak and it is going in as fast as you put it.
Get an assistant to help you, soak the airbags with soapy water and while filling the tank check on all sides of the bags for leaks.

Paul...
Paul Daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
My air system acts the same way (bags hold pressure, but air tank leaks off in a day or so).

I assume that the air bag control valves hold pressure extremely well, but, in my case, I suspect that the check valve on the volume tank is in dire need of replacement -- it raises quite a racket when the volume tank is fillling. I haven't given anything the "soap suds test" yet.

Another item for the maintenance list.

Keep a close eye on the air bags, I think that at one time my 345 was run without air in the airbags, 'cause there are indentations in the frame above the springs where the leaf assembly was wacking against the frame. The rear end must have been only a few inches from the asphalt!

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Paul --

Another thing you might check is the Schraeder valve itself.

I was mystified as to why (or if) my air tank was leaking off, so during my investigations I ensured that the air tank was empty (open a line, or check the accessory air connection, if you have one), and VERY CAREFULLY backed out the Schraeder valve from the bottom of the tank. There was no air pressure, but there was a goodly amount of iron dust on top of the valve, enough, in my opinion, to block flow to the valve.

It doesn't take long to check, and my peace of mind is at a much better level now that I feel I understand the entire air system.

I spent a couple of hours on a crawler under the frame tracing out various air lines.

One of the first mods going into my machine is a mechanical guage in the drivers' area so as to continuously moniter the volume tank pressure.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
because of the inline valve which helps pressure stay in the bag and not back out the line, you don't get an air pressure reading at the valve as far as I know.
It is a valve for adding air, and bleeding moisture from the accumulation tank as well. Take a look at the photos posted earlier on air bags, as once I saw what fully inflated bags look like I was better able to keep mine up without the gauge to tell. It sure does help the ride!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote