Originally Posted by echo44
Checked out the interstate this weekend loved it but since
my primary use will be to take my bordercollies to sheep herding trials
didn't think there would be enough room. plus they are at least 2x as exspensive as the trailors.
So I looked at a 25' cloud and they are sooo nice!!
So a few questions;
1) how hard is it to drive towing a trailer?
2) is it worth getiing the solar panels?
3) What % off can I expect to get with some slick negotiating?
The interstate is neat and bootiful, too. But I agree with you it's SMALL and border collies are not known as couch potatoes either.
I like my 25 FB. Not too fond of the model with the bath next to the BED - the bathroom door is narrow and if your black tank isn't heavily treated with enzymes - well, ick... right next to where you're sleeping?
1) Towing an AIRSTREAM is about 1/3 to 1/4 the stress of towing any bumper-towed SOB (square old box) trailer. It takes a bit of learning curve but if it's set up right you can almost forget you've got an Airstream back there.
2) I know nothing about solar panels, but the general wisdom here is that it's cheaper to retrofit them later than get the factory ones. I'd pass on solar - then add it later if not having it turned out to be a problem. Also roof mount solar panels won't work very well if you are parked in the wrong direction, are under shade or in heavy cloud cover. I chose a Honda 3000 Handi generator. My neighbors appreciated it last weekend when the park lost power. I lit off my heat pump and their 110 electric space heater at the same time! Can't run either of those on solar.
3) On a great day you can get 20%. The bad news is that it's March and camping season is just around the corner. December-January would have been better for nickel squeezing time. Let me suggest instead that you go to the Classifieds here and see what's for sale. You might still choose NEW but it doesn't cost anything to check out the eye-candy! BTW the Flying Cloud was called "Safari" as late as 2006 I think.
You didn't ask, but may I humbly suggest that you upgrade the upholstery to "Pleather" because of your Dogs. The Flying Cloud cloth upholstery isn't the top grade ever made... and Dog claws... and dog hair... and the occasional upchuck? The fake leather wipes clean easily.
If you'd like a really dog friendly Airstream, don't forget to look at the 25 FT "Eddie Bauer" model. Carry a drool cloth. It's not a good fulltimer Airstream because of all of the storage that's been sacrificed under the dinette and gaucho, but your dogs will think they've died and gone to heaven! (The under the bed storage for the table top is poorly thought out too. but it can also be stored inside of the folded up streetside dinette bench.) And I know it's the wrong size and at the wrong end of the country, but there IS a PanAmerica model (toy hauler) in the classifieds right now.
Choices, choices, choices - The hunt is almost as much fun as the purchase.
I am personally drooling over the 30 ft Serenity - and the 27 foot Eddie Bauer that they've just announced. But I'm satisfied with daydreaming occasionally.... I already HAVE my Airstream.