Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Dead Speedometer

We just came back from our annual CA smog test on our 92 Classis motorhome. Now the speedometer goes to 85 mph and stays there after the key is turned on. The smog guy swears he didn't touch it. Any ideas??
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Re: Dead Speedometer

Quote:
Originally posted by A/S Alice
We just came back from our annual CA smog test on our 92 Classis motorhome. Now the speedometer goes to 85 mph and stays there after the key is turned on. The smog guy swears he didn't touch it. Any ideas??
Is it an electronic speedometer, or doews it have gears and a cable running it?
Terry
Old 03-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

It is electronic.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
It is electronic.
There is a two-wire connector on the left side under the hood, where a battery would be in a , um, normal van. Make sure it is plugged, in, if you smog guy had anything at all under the hood, it is possible he knocked it loose, and didn't even know it.
Other checks would be the fuses. Anything else will require a digital volt/ohm meter. I can guide you through that also, but let's start withe the basics first.
Terry
Old 03-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Wow, Thanks, Terry, I'm going outside right now to try our your suggestion. Thanks.
Alice
Old 03-06-2004, 04:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Terry, it's on to "Plan B" . I looked under the hood on the left (passenger) side, and didn't see any obvious connections. On the right (driver) side, thereis a mass of wires, all of which seemed to be quite connected. Can you be more specific about what I should look for.

The gauge goes to 85 (the highest number on the dial) instantly when I turn on the key. It would seem it is getting power. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Alice
Old 03-06-2004, 05:43 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Terry, it's on to "Plan B" . I looked under the hood on the left (passenger) side, and didn't see any obvious connections. On the right (driver) side, thereis a mass of wires, all of which seemed to be quite connected. Can you be more specific about what I should look for.

The gauge goes to 85 (the highest number on the dial) instantly when I turn on the key. It would seem it is getting power. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Alice
Okay, check the vehicle speed sensor, to make sure it is plugged in all the way. The sensor is on the rear end of the transmission, on the driver's side, near where the driveshaft comes out. If this doesn't do it, unplug the sensor. The speedometer SHOULD drop to zero. If it does, you have a defective vehicle speed sensor, which is more expensive than it is hard to replace. The little bolt next to it on the transmission holds it in.
Terry
Old 03-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Terry,
It looks like the wire coming out of the sensor has be fried by the Banks exhaust system. Thanks for the help. We'll work on getting that working again.

Thanks again for the help.
Alice
Old 03-06-2004, 07:58 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Glad I could help.
Call me if you need me...
Terry