Old 09-08-2002, 10:09 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Pflugerville , Texas
No harm should come to the volt meter because of it's high internal resistance. Most of your garden verity meters have a 20,000 Ohm per volt impendence. If you are on a 20 volt scale you would only draw about 30 microvolts. The reason to make the voltage check first is to see if any of those pesky electrons have made it back to the battery with all the circuits open.....Bill

Old 10-02-2002, 08:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

electrical nightmare

Hello everybody ,Just got back from Anacortas Washington on a bike rally .before we left I pugged In the univolt for 2 days to get the batteries charged up. as you may recall I was having a draining problem with my new exide batteries. Anyhow as cleaning the exterior of the rig I could smell hydrogen gas coming from the battery box so I opened it and one of the new batterys was puffed up and ready to explode (hot as hell) ok I said to myself here is the problem (dead short in the new battery) So I went and got a a new battery everything was fine on the trip and when we got home everything checked out ok.We where hooked up to shore power the 3 days of the trip.When we got home I dissconected the coach batteries via switch and pluged in the univolt to run interior lights after one day I could smell electrical like a burnt armature in an electric motor so I unplug the univolt I'm sure its toast. So what I'm getting at I think the load from the bad batt blew up my univolt .How much How Hard And were do I get one ??/ PLease Help

Old 10-02-2002, 08:57 PM   #17
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
You can go to yopur local Airstream dealer or to Andy at Inland RV.

Univolt
Here is a link to the picture of the new model. It goes for 265.00 US from Andy. R&R should not be all that hard as I think yours is on the floor behind or under the pass seat. I hope mine never fails as I would need to take yoga up prior to R&R mine, it is under the bathroom counter accessable thru a closet.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:15 PM   #18
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
I have been very happy with the Intelli Power 9100
It is very quiet with the occasional cooling fan kicking in:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...5&skunum=17299
In the 79 the univolt is located to the right of the passenger seat under the box, which is fastened with a few screws to the side and the floor.
drawback: AC indicator light will not work as wired.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Univolt

Thanx for the reply I panic everytime something go's wrong as everytime I think I'm getting all the bugs out of this thing something else happens (probably why the old dude sold it in the first place) I think its becoming a challange just like many of the cars I had as a kid. Although as I get older I find it harder to take when things aren't perfect.Lets see besides the battery problem the passenger heater core blew (I need one of those also) The furnace also was not working this year.Last year I replaced the brain and the year before it was the relay so this year I took it in to the shop and they went through it for 30 bones and it worked perfectly the whole trip.Anyhow one thing at a time as I can afford them and maybe before I'm to old of a dude everything will be in working order.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Larry- many of us are in the same boat, where just when you think you have caught up in your maintenance and repairs, you are faced with some new one.
While this can be a big frustration, and I know it has seemed so to me at times this past year, if you back up, take a deep breath and move forward slowly it usually will be solved at less expense and with less panic.
I have had so many little and again not so little things to attend to, each one coming soon after another was completed. Some of that is the "fun" and challenge of owning a classic machine with so many systems that have to work together to make it a complete operating unit.
Hope you don't get too frustrated where the enjoyment is outweighed by the pains in the.....well you know.
Just some support from another who understands where you are coming from.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:57 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Trailer Troubles

If you think you have trouble with the old ones, try the new ones. All I ever heard were horror stories from new owners. If I have to buy troubles I might as well get them at a discount. Let me tell you about my pop- up trailer........... Sorry not enough room. Every piece of that new trailer was replaced including the floor!!! There go my motto below. Bought my AS for just what I sold the pop up for.. now I'm in heaven..Tom
Old 10-04-2002, 07:47 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

support team

Thankyou for the support guys I know I was a little down the other day but no big deal .Now I can upgrade to more modern high tech electronics.Any how a Question came up .Does the new univolt system hook up the same as the old one?And will my ac light on my panal come on?. Peter said that his does not come on with his new system. Does it matter?Its not like I'm going to drive away with It plugged in to shore power anyhow.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:03 PM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
"Does it matter?Its not like I'm going to drive away with It plugged in to shore power anyhow."

you may want to check jody's post about her last trip! we all make mistakes!

john
Old 10-04-2002, 08:20 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

where?

where is the post located/I'll checkit out.I hope the sewer line was dissconected before they left and the cable, water hose, dog ect.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:32 PM   #25
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
here it is
http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=1956

john
Old 10-04-2002, 08:46 PM   #26
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Larry,
The 'Power on indicator thread' will help you make the right decision for your new converter.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...=&threadid=738
Besides being real pretty all lit up, a more useful alternative for the red AC light would be a permanent AC meter plugged into an outlet. (ain't that right, Bill)
Attached Images

AIR #13
Old 10-04-2002, 09:08 PM   #27
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Larry,
I wanted to mention why I went with the intelli power.
On the 79's the univolt is vented through the outside and the bottom.. I closed the vents off thinking too much moisture would enter through those vents. Instead I cut vents in the wooden box.
After first installing a magnetek, I returned it and installed the Intelli power. I just could not stand the constant humming sound.
AIR #13
Old 10-05-2002, 11:00 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

hook up

Doe's this thing wire up the same as the old unit ?or do I have to change a bunch of stuf .how about just replacing the transformer in the old unit? would'nt that be cheaper?I think I'll take it apart to access the damage and go from there.