Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Manassas , Virginia
Compass for Interstaste

I would like to have a compass to augment the navigation system on my Airstream Interstate. As far as I can tell, there is no compass mode in the Garmin navigation package installed on the Interstate.

I could mount a small marine compass on the top of the glare shield in front to the driver. I have also looked at compass apps for my smart phone but the marine compass seems to be a better choice. Has anyone come up with a workable solution for a compass?
curmugeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:15 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmugeon View Post
I would like to have a compass to augment the navigation system on my Airstream Interstate. As far as I can tell, there is no compass mode in the Garmin navigation package installed on the Interstate.
You can select to have the GPS display direction in terms of compass points but not in terms of degrees. Or at least I can on my DNX7180. But it took some experimenting to accomplish it, because my DNX7180 manual didn't cover the Garmin GPS program, only the other functions.

I forget exactly how I did it, but if you touch the lower-right corner display, you should be able to select direction, mph, elevation, or distance to destination. Maybe one or two others. After one particular update to the firmware, I could display up to four stacked data windows instead of just one in the lower right. I liked that so I've left it that way for the last couple of years.