Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2002, 12:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Can I use "regular" antifreeze in my holding tank?

I want to use my motorhome this winter. It is already winterized, the water tanks are empty and I do not plan to use any of the water lines. I would like to be able to use the toilet however, and would use bottled water for flushing. Is it OK to put regular radiator antifreeze in the holding tank to prevent freezing, or do I need to use the pink stuff sold in RV stores?
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 12:48 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I would reccomend getting a couple of gallons of the pink stuff. For one it is cheaper than the automotive type, and second the automotive type anitfreeze may cause you to have gate valve troubles in the future as it is not formulated to work with the seals in our rv systems.

While the unit is in use you will not need to add any antifreeze to the holding tanks as long as you keep your heat on. there are ducts than run to the tanks to keep them from freezing.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 02:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Automotive antifreeze is very toxic. RV antifreeze is not. (I would not drink it) Part of the breakdown of the waste in your holding tank AND the dump stations is done by micro-organisms. Automotive antifreeze will kill them. If you empty your tanks at a dumpstaton with this antifreeze in it, you could be fined quite heavily.

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:32 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks. Appreciate the info. RV antifreeze it is.
Luckydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
hex

Question How bout Vodka Boris....?

My oft-mentioned 1974 A/S-T/T Service manual tells me to NOT use anti-freeze. It says to use Kerosene(I wont). But I wonder why it says NO anti-freeze?

When was the pink RV stuff first introduced?
What types of seals are in jeopardy?

Surely no one ever puts any pink (or other) in the Fresh water tank ...do they??
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 11:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
When your manual was written there was only the automotive-type (yellow=poisenous) anti-freeze. I don't know however, when the "pink stuff" came out.

I have heard of folks putting the pink stuff in their water supply tank, we don't though. I think you just have to flush it really good come spring. I have also been told it taints the flavor of the water for many "batches" in the tank.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I use the pink antifreeze (2.50 a gallon at WalMart) in my fresh water tank...and so did the po.
It state it is non-toxic on the label. We do a good flush of the tank when de-winterizing, using a cup of bleach, and then fill and flush with baking soda.
I also carry bottled water for drinking on the road anyway- and use the tank water for washing, and such. Drinking the tank water would make me a little nervous anyway...
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote