Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2003, 12:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

bunk bed/hammock or dinette?

Bought a '92 30' and need to rig more beds for kids. I have 2 chairs and a table across from the couch - can I exchange the 2 chairs and table for a dinette/bed? Will it hit the couch/bed? Has anyone built bunks or hammock beds for little kids? We used to have a VW camper and it had 2 poles with canvas in between them that clipped to the walls over the front seats...took about 2 minutes to setup, rolled and stored, and was harmless to the coach except for the 4 brackets on the walls. Folding bunk on the wall in the rear bedroom? What have people done?

Thanks,
Andy
fangthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
there was a 77 Argosy motorhome for sale rcently, where the owner had built binks in the rear using metal poles. Looked pretty good.
Others have gobne the fold down dinette route, and that is a good option for littler kids.
We use a fold up mattress on the floor for one of ours, and it has worked well so far. Air matress or roll up padding works.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
One of my suggestions for the 2005 Classic was to have rear twin/bunk arrangement for night and a dinette seating area during the day. Center bath and two opposing sofas in the front that fold out together to make a king bed for mom and dad. Sleeping for a family of 6!

I like convertable space. Having a fixed bed that is used 1/3 of the day seems to be a waste. I was thinking about the Fleetwood NextGen that they played with that had a rear booth seating during the day but converted to a a large bed at night.

Many of today's RV's are designed for the retired Ricky and Lucy. The problem is that many of today's RV BUYERS are younger and with families. My kids love the new trailers with double or triple bunks in the rear.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anything is possible with time, money and engineering.

Our '82 Jayco-SOB, had the similar setup. It had two upper bunks in back (not for adults) but it also had like the Airstream, two single lower beds under the bunks. In between the lower beds was a place to stick a post and on that post a table top so the back was not only a place to sleep, but it dubbed as another smaller dinette.

My parents still have the Jayco too, so if you are interested, I should see it this summer and I can take some snapshots of it.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote