Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

blown 310 turbo saga continues

Well if you've been following this folly you will remember that two weeks ago we got stranded in Cheyene, WY in our '84 310 when the Isuzu turbo developed a knock like a cement mixer and the shop said we'd never make it out of town. We had taken over ownership of this classic four days before in Gig Harbour, WA. Several of you offered advice about replacement v. hauling it home. Last night we committed to swaping out the engine for a Cummins 5.9 and the transmission out of a salvage Dodge truck found in Colorado. Hallers in Cheyene is doing the work. Parts are estimated at $5875 and labor will add a similar amount. This is a major bullet but the alternative was to scrap our significant investment. Jim Haller estimates about one month to remove and install so last night I bought an airline ticket to Cheyene from Louisville for June 3. If you are interested I'll keep this list up to date on the progress. My wife last night (who will remind me of my incredible ignorance for many years to come) reminded me that at least when this is over I'll have, in the words of one member of this list, "one BAMH."

Just curious, when will I start enjoying the "Airstream experience?"
geo-357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:48 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Geo,

You are not alone. Check these out. We enjoy our MH very much now. But for a while there I thought I was going to go nuts

http://www.airforums.com/forum...die+adventures

http://www.airforums.com/forum...die+adventures
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
geo-357
it's hard to tell right now, but one of the best things about these old AS MH's is that the coach itself will outlast just about any other brand of MH out there. I certainly realize I'm only a "good long hill away" (to quote 87MH) from a similar situation, but feel comfortable knowing that I own a unit which can be inexpensively [relatively] repowered a number of times and still remain useful in it's purpose for my work and family and continue to be a comfortably unique motorhome with design feature I just couldn't replicate in today's big box style units.

A 310 repowered with a Cummins 5.9 (with the Allison I hope)....now that is something to see. Good luck with the R&R. Please keep us posted as I know I'm very interested in keeping up with how your conversion comes out in the end.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I wish you the best of luck with the swap and the future drive home. Hope it all is "downhill" for you from there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:37 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

5.9 NO allison

The 5.9 in a Daodge p.u. does not have an allison. I doubt they are swapping a Late model engine. Too much electronics. The early ones are jsut a 3 speed Mopar. Actually there is a member on this forum with lots of experience in swapping 5.9's. I bet he cringed when he saw the labour price of over $5000. Seems high to me.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Stay away-

-from that Mopar trans. They're bad news when installed in a diesel pick up- I forgot the numbers on it, but its supposed to be the same as what comes in a passenger car.

Allisons are great, and will mount up to it, and Dodges 5 speed is good, but there seems to be a bolt that comes loose on the end of the main shaft that makes you lose OD and then you have to find someone who will honestly repair it, rather than stab you for a whole tranny job. The bolt can be re-tightened and loc-tited down or a spot weld tabbed onto it to prevent it from coming loose again.

I wonder if an E4OD from a Ford would work? I have one that is pretty strong, and a fresh rebuilt one runs less than $1500.

The Cummins Dodge is the best one for the swap, but they varied from year to year as far as specs. I looked at a used one with 80K on it and the quote was $2700 installed in a Chevy truck with a Dodge 5 Speed- that included everything with a 6 month warranty.
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

E 40D Junk

A Ford Tranny would be a step backward. Not only will it not bolt up. it is worse than the Dodge. A used Allison Trans would cost as much as the motor. The Dodge 3 spd. is not that bad.
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:43 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Junk? I guess everyone has different experiences- I have friends with race boats and also that tow large loads- legend series race cars, etc., and they've all switched to Ford Powerstrokes with automatics- some have 5 speeds, but most stuck with AT's so wives could drive easier. I also know a gentleman that sells factory rebuilt trans for Aarons Engines trans division. He can't keep Dodges in stock. He sells them at a ratio of 12 to 1 against the Ford AT.
The Dodge Cummins is the best engine, IMO, but I would never trust their trans based on my own experiences and that of friends. One had 17K on his new truck and it was cooked.
About the bolt up- I've been offered an Allison to be adapted to a Ford, so I assume that it can go either way.
These issues are all moot to me- I have a 5 speed and a P-Stroke- my only issue is whether I should install a Gear Vendor behind it...

Maybe an engine/tranny poll is in order?
Old 05-01-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

I have been looking at the same things. A mechanic has advised me that the Powerstroke conversions is possible but he would not recommend or do it again. Too many issues and problems. He was ok with the Cummins Engine. He was an Allison Trans dealer and went over several issues you should consider. The RPM Rating on Cummins is 2600 verse 3300 Isuzu thus requiring transmission adjustments for shifting points. The Allison does not have overdrive therefore a rear end gear change may be necessary.
Mobile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 04:34 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

I think thats the optimum package to get- Cum/All but don't they have a 6 speed? You can also check out a gear vendor OD- nice unit and mine have all been trouble free.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Geo-357 - are you out there? What ever happened? Did you make it home safe and sound?
Old 06-16-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

The MH is finally home. I flew to Cheyene, WY on 6/4. Two connecting flights were both late. Arrived late Thur. night. Airline lost my luggage. Friday 7:00am the mechanic was under the motorhome working on the transmission. They shoehorned the cummins 5.9 into place. Everything had to be custom fabricated. They used the dodge tranny and kept adjusting to get the shift points right. After a couple of test drives I finally left about 4.30pm on Friday 6/5. I drove about 100 miles, stopped for a bite to eat, and the MH didn't start. The repair shop had gone camping for the weekend so I called AAA. They showed up and it started right up. I was just turning the key without waiting for everything to startup. Live and learn. I drove till about 1.00am, slept in a rest stop. Drove the next day all day, slept in the world's biggest truck stop. Worth the stop by the way. Made it home to KY the next afternoon. Took about 46 hours. It does run great. To engage the overdrive I have to flip a switch on the dash. I didn't find the fuse for the radio until about a week after I got home. My wife and I spent one morning scrubbing the outside, boy does it shine now. I started on the inside with the leather dash and seats and am gradually working towards the rear. Sure have a lot to learn about it. I'll get some pics, especially of the new engine, and post them soon. ==george
geo-357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
World's biggest truck stop????

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo-357
......slept in the world's biggest truck stop.

So, George:

Just where is the world's biggest truck stop, and what makes it so special?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Will we hear.....the rest of the story?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #14
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
George,
Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. I hope to see your "new" rig someday soon. I also want to hear about the "worlds biggest truck stop". I have a real soft spot for truck stops - mostly because I seem to spend so much time in them fixing the AS

S
Old 06-16-2004, 10:09 PM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Had to be Dixie Crossroads! It is a huge truck stop we overnighted there once. Had to be parked 7 blocks form the restaurant. When we parked we were not in the last row, More like a middle one. Woke up in the AM and we were all alone in a big empty field
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Geo-357, so glad to hear that you and your MH are home safe and sound. Maybe in time, all this "history" will be just that! Meanwhile, it sounds like you are having fun at last puttering with your new baby. We were asking about you at our recent midwest Rally at Moraine View-- if anyone had heard the rest of your story yet. Congratulations!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 09:12 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great to hear it all worked out...a success story. After five years on the road as a musician the truck stops alway hold a special place in my heart...especially the one outside Denver, where after showing up to a gig booked by a phony agent---(no gig)--- our bus broke down, and we sat at the truck stop for three days waiting for it to be repaired...ahhh --- memories.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote