Old 03-25-2003, 01:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Bilstein shocks ebay

People where talking shocks on the forum the other day. FYI there are new take off Bilstein shocks and steering dampners on ebay for sale, cheap. I said it before and I'll say it again, Bilstein are simply the best. The seller has several sets for the front and several steering dampeners that work for the P30 chassis. Also seems to have lots of RV parts in general. His feedback is not so good but I decided to take a chance on him. Please do not bid against me, my ebay ID is "ehallspqr" there are plenty of shocks/dampeners to go around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34287
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-1 3.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	1819  

Old 03-25-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the link. I could use a set if they are reasonable at final bid.

Old 03-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bilsteins are some of the best shocks around if you don't get them via ebay, go to shox.com I got 4 for my car for a song!

Eric
Old 03-25-2003, 10:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I sent a price request to Shox.com for the rear set (B46-1587-HD). We will see how they compare price-wise to the other discount sellers. If Shox can deliver cheap prices on Bilstein products, that would be wonderful. You can get some great deals from ebay. You can also get ripped. Buyer beware is what I say. But 2 Bilstein front shocks (B46-1173-HD) for $25-30 plus shipping? That is a great price, and worth the risk. Camping world sells this same shock for $90 each. Dito for the Bilstein steering dampners.
ebay auction link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2408708891
Old 03-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Evan,

With all respect, you cannot compare take offs with new, from the factory, out of the box, never installed.

Shox will give you the best price for new, unused shocks for your ride. I know cause I shopped about a year ago for them for my car and they were the lowest I could find and I did shop about 10 places.

I know there are several people that will sell them "used" for less, but I don't buy used motor oil no matter how safe it is, and apply that thought to the rest of my rides.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-26-2003, 02:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Agreed.....

... Takeoffs are not new, but they are as close as you can get. Buying used anything you have to know what your doing. I worked for a major car dealership in the Seattle area for 3 yrs while going to school. Believe me, people buy takeoff parts all the time sold as "new". True takeoff Shocks from a new motorhome with low miles are probably a safe bet. I will be able to tell instantly if these are takoffs or well used (shocks take a beating underneath the chassis). Used oil? I don't think anyone would go that route. You have to look at the savings involved and make a judgement call. They retail for $90 ea. The cheapest price I have found for these shocks is $70 ea plus shipping. If they can be had, for say $40 a pair + 20 shipping? $60 VS $150-160 I'll go for that. Besides many of the parts for these old classic MH's are now obsolete, so we owners will all be buying used parts at some point. One last point. I just paid $97+$15SH for a wiper switch from Airstream. Ouch! I would have loved to find a new takeoff bargin for that part.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Price of Shocks

I just received a set of shocks from Shox.com

The invoice came through Anderson & Stiehle, Inc. in El Cajon CA.

Two fronts @ 79.75 each, two rears at 79.75 each, and the steering damper at $71. Total $390, plus $18 to Houston.

Received all in 3 days UPS ground.

Not great prices, but I got them right away.

I have only installed one rear so far. Had a bitch of a time getting the lower rear bolt to install. Ended up tieing the shock collapsed with several wraps and a noose in order to control the extension, and grinding the bolt to a 45 degree chamfer on the end in order to start the alignment.

Hope the rest go MUCH easier.

BTW -- The front shocks were shipped without the exterior springs. I was told by salespeak that the springs were unnecessary ('course salesperson did not have any spring type shocks to offer)

But what he said made sense, that the springs were so small they did not make much difference. I still have no idea about how much trouble the springs will be to remove from the existing shocks and install on the new Bilstiens -- Any thoughts?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Dennis get a spring compressor tool. Just a cheap manual threaded type will do fine. This saves alot of aggravation and probably a busted knuckle or two. I don't see much of a problem getting the spring off, but are the bilsteins set up to take a spring? If you got the B46-1173HD, these are the heavy duty units used on many newer class A units. They are standard equipment now on P series WorkHorse chassis. I think you may be able to get by without using these assist springs. Are your front airbags and main springs in good shape? Once you get these new shocks and dampener on, you should be very happy with the Bilsteins ride. They are firmer but not to firm. You should feel less sway, and being gas units they will not fade like oil dampening. They handle the potholes and provide a plush ride. The price you paid was pretty fair. I was looking at last years camping world catalog and they where $90 ea, list was $100 so I was low on my previous post. The $18 shipping sounds good because 5 shocks gotta be heavy.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Good point Evan regarding the spring compressor. It makes like a whole lot easier.

Eric
Old 03-30-2003, 07:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
No need for Spring Compressor

Front Shocks:

No need to go with the spring compressor.

The shock spring used by Airstream is pretty much an aftermarket clamp-on arrangement.

The spring can actually be "unscrewed" from the mounts, the top holder is a simple friction clam shell, the bottom slip clamp is secured by 4 allen bolts.

Unfortunately, the Bilsteins are designed such that the top clamshell cannot be used, so if you go the Bilstein route the shock mounted "helper spring" cannot be used.

I put 220 pounds on the spring (imagine how I did that), and the spring compressed about 1", so I don't think I'm giving up much support by leaving it off, but I will be saving the spring assemblies for possible reinstallation.

BTW, I put a little more elevation on the frame when I mounted the curb side rear shock. The extra extension made it possible to start the bottom bolt, and then slip the top shock grommett onto the stud -- MUCH easier than installing the top mount first and then trying to stab the bottom bolt.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 04-04-2003, 09:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I went ahead and bid on the ebay bilsteins, I mean for 25 bucks, it sure looks like a deal. You need a spring compressor to install? The attachment points seem really easy to get to.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
No problems at all with the front shocks on mine (PO had installed an adapter mount/plate for the top mount, it was a little difficult to remove -- the Bilsteins had the top horizontal bolt already atttached.)

Note - if you reinstall the spring helpers on the front (no way to fit them on with the Bilsteins), the lower spring stop is installed after the shock is put on, so no spring comressor will be required.

On the rear, I think a spring compressor would have been too bulky to work with in the tight quarters. By mounting the lower bolt first, there was enough side movement to stab the upper rubber grommet on the second shock. I was afraid to put too much side pressure on the piston, but it went on fairly easy. I compressed the shock with a 3/16" piece of braided nylon rope with a loop and cinch wrap to control extension. It worked fairly well.

All 4 of the shocks were totally shot on my 345 (72,000 miles) I don't know if the rears were original or not, but I think that the fronts had been replaced once -- I would recommend removal and checking the front shocks every 50K miles - They're easy to get to.

BTW, I found that do ANY work on the front end (including changing plugs) do yourself a favor, remove the wheels and tires - things are SO much easier to get to.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 04-04-2003, 01:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Bilsteins

Get 'cher Brand New Bilsteins --

Performancetruck.com has them at $71 each - don't know the shipping costs or time elements.

Had great delivery from shox.com at a few bucks more.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 04-04-2003, 02:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Well I got my 2 Bilstein steering dampeners from the seller off those ebay auctions. They are "new" take-offs just like advertised. Total cost with shipping was $38 and I have a spare. The seller treated me good this time around but his feedback is far from perfect. Some Rat Fink outbid me on the two front shocks. My fault for not paying attention. The final prices ranged from $28-32 + shipping for 2 shocks. Alan these bilsteins are used for all P-30 chassis. These are the heavy duty versions so you should be okay without the helper springs. I talked to the mechanics at camping world about the helper springs, they said they are almost useless. I will be picking up a set or rear bilsteins from shox or performance truck. Eric, Dennis thanks for the tips.