Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Best insulation

Hi everyone, any advise will be helpful.

What would be the best type of insulation I can instal ing airstream?

Thanks James
jmalexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
In my opinion and what I installed in mine is Prodex. I put one layer against the outside skin (even though everyone says not to) then I placed 2" strips of the 1/2" thick blue insulation to create an air gap (put electrical wiring in the 1/2" gap created) then installed another layer of prodex. After that I installed 1/2" foam board with silver side in.

Under the floor we installed 3" of the blue foam and spray foam from insulation company between the framing members and in gaps.

So there, everyone tell me how it is not an effective installation.

I can tell you one thing, my 13.5K AC is keeping my trailer cool in 102 degree direct sunlight while we continue to work on the interior.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the forums!

There are lots of opinions about what is best. Chances are that they all have fairly similar R values when the dust settles, and your ribs and windows will continue to be the biggest source of heat transfer.

To summarize:

The reflective bubble wraps (prodex, reflectix) have their followers, and their detractors who point out that you can't achieve the air gap required to get maximum advertised R-values, per mfgr's directives.

The solid foam board gives pretty good R value, but is hard to get to wrap around the curves of the trailer.

Fiberglass is rumored to soak up water, and be prime nesting material for critters, but it is the cheapest of all, and very easy to work with. An alternative may be "rock wool," which has properties similar to the fiberglass, but is much more heat resistant, and claims not to absorb water. It is harder to get hold of, though.

Spray foam is messy, rumored to leave open pores which may soak up water, and will likely continue to outgas for a while (plus the other issues of rigidifying the shell, and making it very difficult to work on wiring in the future).

Then there is the frontier, high tech stuff like micro-ceramic spheres, nano-tubes, and spun aether.

End of the day, you have about 1 1/2" to work with, you know that it is going to get wet at least from time to time and if critters can find their way into the wall, they will nest there regardless of what they find back there. If you can find a substance that will reliably give you ~R6, then you are probably doing about the best you can--there is lots to choose from, "Best" is a matter of a combination of personal preferences.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Thank you very much for the info. I start this weekend and now have a much better direction in how to start!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I used Prodex in my Bambi II. I was easy to work with & keeps the trailer nice & cool like Dflores mentioned. I can't say a negative thing about it. I pulled out lots of pink stuff & lots of mouse evidence from two Airstreams that I reinsulated. I'm hoping they aren't as comfortable with Prodex!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Any specific brand of prodex I should be looking for?
Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
I used a combination of 1 inch foil wrapped closed cell foam board on the sides of my trailer and glued between the frame members beneath the sub-floor...then covered the walls with a layer of Prodex. On the rounded sections of the trailer, I glued 1 inch strips of the foam board to achieve the desired air gap, then covered with 2 layers of Prodex...attaching the Prodex to the ribs with aluminum tape. You do not want to cover the ribs with Prodex, as this will adversely affect the holding ability of the rivets. Personally, I would not install the Prodex against the outer shell...as I have seen Prodex break down and de-laminate under severe thermo conditions.

Prodex is a brand name product. I got mine at a discount at insulationforless. Should be noted that Prodex is not the same product as the stuff they sell at the big box stores....which is basically bubble wrap. Once those bubbles expand and contract enough, it will break down...leaving you with no insulation.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Thanks Arktos
Old 08-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Tampa , Florida
Has anyone ever used styrofoam?
Old 08-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Someone posted AS says it will shrink, and fall apart.
Maybe someone can recommend a newer version that has more strength, I used high density on the boat to fix rotting floors and it worked if you could put in the right amount to fill space between very tight but not buckle the existing sheet. I knew the bottom layer was weaker than the top and would bow it down and it did.
Newer aluminum roofing for mobiles uses a built in foam, I don't know it's r-value, but it definitely keeps the area under cooler than plain metal roof. Mobile homes don't move to much, like some AS's
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote